8.246, FYI: HPSG project url, Events in Brisbane

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Feb 21 05:47:52 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-246. Fri Feb 21 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.246, FYI: HPSG project url, Events in Brisbane

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Date:           Wed, 19 Feb 1997 19:12:29 GMT
From:  HOWARD GREGORY <HG4 at soas.ac.uk>
Subject:        New website: SOAS HPSG ellipsis project

2)
Date:  Tue, 18 Feb 1997 08:21:12 +1000 (EST)
From:  peterw at lingua.cltr.uq.oz.au (Peter White)
Subject:  Linguistics in Brisbane 1998

Date:           Wed, 19 Feb 1997 19:12:29 GMT
From:  HOWARD GREGORY <HG4 at soas.ac.uk>

We have now set up a website for the SOAS HPSG ellipsis project (URL
http://semantics.soas.ac.uk/ellip/). This is an EPSRC-funded
computational project for the parsing and resolution of ellipsis
structures, directed by Professor Shalom Lappin.

The system we have developed comprises an HPSG [1] typed feature
grammar for a fragment of English including some of the most often
cited ellipsis structures (currently intersentential VP ellipsis and
ACE), and a postprocessing procedure for resolving the ellipsis by "in
situ" reconstruction. The system is implemented in ProFIT [2]. The
site makes the programs available to researchers, along with
documentation covering related theoretical and implementational
issues.

Any enquiries or comments please to HG4 at soas.ac.uk or SL3 at soas.ac.uk

Howard Gregory

[1] Pollard, C. and I.Sag (1994): Head Driven Phrase Structure Grammar
[2] Erbach, G. (1995): Prolog with Features, Inheritance and Templates