8.250, FYI: Public perception of linguistics

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Feb 21 16:01:28 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-250. Fri Feb 21 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.250, FYI: Public perception of linguistics

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 14 Feb 1997 12:21:00 -0500
From:  Trey Jones <TJones at dataware.com>
Subject:  apparently linguists-are-no-damn-good

Date:  Fri, 14 Feb 1997 12:21:00 -0500
From:  Trey Jones <TJones at dataware.com>

Greetings, LINGUISTs..

I just got this from a friend on the TechWriting List.. Many of the
people over there hold linguistics and linguists in rather low regard.
I've had a couple of pretty fierce fights with some of them, only to
conclude that some people really will never see that anything other
than prescriptivism is acceptable, logical, or even sane.

There have been numerous discussions on LINGUIST in the past about the
public perception and understanding of linguistics, and what could be
done to improve both. Sadly, I fear that things have taken a turn for
the worse. Read on..