8.253, Disc: Communication between blind & sighted

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Feb 21 17:28:04 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-253. Fri Feb 21 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.253, Disc: Communication between blind & sighted

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 19 Feb 97 12:37:25 JST
From:  pauly at k.tsukuba-tech.ac.jp (Martin Pauly)
Subject:  Re: 8.234, Disc: Communication between blind & sighted

2)
Date:  Wed, 19 Feb 97 14:01:05 +0100
From:  powers at merlin.enssat.fr (David Powers)
Subject:  Disc: Communication between blind & sighted

Date:  Wed, 19 Feb 97 12:37:25 JST
From:  pauly at k.tsukuba-tech.ac.jp (Martin Pauly)

>What has impressed me OUTSTANDINGLY in this discussion is that I am at a
>loss to explain the EXCELLENT quality of our blind colleagues' written
>English. No spelling errors, no grammar errors ... could I have a
>description of the mechanics of the process - since I assume you all
>cannot SEE the computer screen, how do you READ the text? and what kind
>of keyboards do you have?
>I have worked with the deaf, a little, and it seems to me that the
>problems others assume exist with people who are sense-impaired (is that
>the right term?) say more about the people positing the problems than
>the people who are supposed to have said problems.
>Cheers, Kela
>PS - on the "mechanics", please reply off-list if you think others are
>not interested. I can see, and I make terrible errors in spelling all
>the time, not just because you cannot go back and correct email with my
>type of software editor. Our blind colleagues put me to shame.
>-
>Deborah D. Kela Ruuskanen     \  You cannot teach a Man anything,
>Leankuja 1, FIN-01420 Vantaa  \    you can only help him find it
>druuskan at cc.helsinki.fi       \    within himself.      Galileo

>LINGUIST List: Vol-8-234
Hello,
I am also very interested in this subject, especially in the "mechanics,"
and would hope that you would reply on-list.
Thank you.
Martin Pauly
Tsukuba College of Technology
Division for the Visually Impaired