8.260, Qs: Text, Postdoc, Italian, Repetition

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Feb 23 14:09:43 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-260. Sun Feb 23 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.260, Qs: Text, Postdoc, Italian, Repetition

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: T. Daniel Seely <seely at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 19 Feb 1997 21:01:55 +0000
From:  Lou Burnard <lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>
Subject:  An enquiry from Her Majesty's Govt

2)
Date:  Thu, 20 Feb 1997 10:56:06 GMT0BST
From:  John Hutton <MFCSTJH at fs1.art.man.ac.uk>
Subject:  Postdoctoral Research in the US/Canada

3)
Date:  Tue, 18 Feb 97 22:17:25 +0100 (MET)
From:  Elmar Schafroth <Elmar.Schafroth at phil.uni-augsburg.de>
Subject:  Nonce formations in Italian: verbs in -a/i/ucchiare

4)
Date:  19 Feb 97 03:12 GMT
From:  "Syzranova, Svetlana" </DD.id=ssyz at tco.infonet.com>
Subject:  Syntactical repetition

Date:  Wed, 19 Feb 1997 21:01:55 +0000
From:  Lou Burnard <lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>

I don't know, it might have been that Chris Whassername out of "Brass
Eye", but the bloke on the other end of the phone sounded kosher. He
claimed to be a researcher for one of the British government's
bankbencher MPs with a special interest in digital television. Could I
give an opinion on what academics thought about the possibility? I
gave him my standard song on corpus linguistics and said I'd ask a few
experts around the world...

Here's the scoop. Everyone knows the V-chip is a disaster. It doesn't
work, and we didn't invent it anyway. But there's a lot of votes in
controlling the awful (perceived) excesses of digital television. We
certainly couldn't unleash all that sex and violence on the British
public without some sort of control, now could we. But setting up
panels and censorship boards and pre-vetting of TV is just too
expensive, not to say deeply unpopular, to contemplate. So surely some
boffins must have come up with a piece of computer software which
could vet the content of TV programmes for us?

Come again?

Well, if you had all the scripts on computer disks, you could run them
through a program which would calculate some kind of content
descriptor, some kind of rating. Then parents could program their TVs
to block out any programmes with certain kinds of descriptor or
rating, right? Some kind of automatic categorization, topic
identification, that kind of thing. Is no-one doing research on that
sort of text analysis? Specifically as applied to broadcasting? Has
anyone tried to apply automatic content identification methods to this
kind of domain?

I'll be glad to digest any suggestions and pass them on to our man in
Whitehall. Suggestions relating to the question asked, that
is. Comments about the state of British politics in general, and the
current government in particular, should be sent to a more appropriate
forum. And if there's any research funding in this, just remember, I
saw him first.

Lou Burnard