8.285, Disc: Ebonics

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Feb 27 15:30:01 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-285. Thu Feb 27 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.285, Disc: Ebonics

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: T. Daniel Seely <seely at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 15 Feb 1997 15:02:46 -0500
From:  debaron at uiuc.edu (Dennis Baron)
Subject:  Oakland Task Force Report

2)
Date:  Sun, 16 Feb 1997 10:43:58 -0500
From:  MELVIN SHEARER <"patton at cfanet.com"@mail.cfanet.com>
Subject:  ebonics and the white community

3)
Date:  Thu, 20 Feb 1997 12:28:17 +0000 (GMT)
From:  Wen-chao Li <wen-chao.li at phonetics.oxford.ac.uk>
Subject:  literature in Ebonics

Date:  Sat, 15 Feb 1997 15:02:46 -0500
From:  debaron at uiuc.edu (Dennis Baron)

I understand that the Oakland Ebonics resolution was based on (and is
essentially a distortion of) a much longer document, a report produced by a
task force studying a variety of problems in Oakland schools.  I have so
far not been able to locate a copy of this task force report.  I have not
found it on the Net, but understand that the Urban League may have been
ciculating it among its members.  If anyone knows about or has the report,
I'd really like to find out how to get a copy.

Dennis
____

Dennis Baron                                       debaron at uiuc.edu
Department of English                     office: 217-333-2392
University of Illinois                           fax:  217-333-4321
608 S. Wright Street                         home: 217-384-1683
Urbana, IL 61801