8.290, Disc: Communication between blind and sighted

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Feb 27 22:41:27 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-290. Thu Feb 27 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.290, Disc: Communication between blind and sighted

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: T. Daniel Seely <seely at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 22 Feb 1997 02:26:41 -0500 (EST)
From:  Sheri B Wells <sbwells at acsu.buffalo.edu>
Subject:  Re: 8.253, Disc: Communication between blind & sighted

2)
Date:  Sun, 23 Feb 1997 13:58:35 -0800 (PST)
From:  Robert Englebretson <6500reng at ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu>

Date:  Sat, 22 Feb 1997 02:26:41 -0500 (EST)
From:  Sheri B Wells <sbwells at acsu.buffalo.edu>

Permit me to respond briefly to a few points ...

communicate on-line:

Every blind person I know touch-types, so we use standard keyboards; we
are responsible for spelling and proper syntax just as are our sighted
peers.  Many of us prefer using braille display devices rather than voice
synthesizers.

> ... on this latter question, I am surprised that blind people
> (Robert and _all_ his acquaintances) are NOT disconcerted by
> unexplained laughter ...
> I am not satisfied on this point.

A personal response seems appropriate here.  There is no way to objectify
subjective experience, as evidenced by the previous discussion on this
point, which has consisted of subjective evaluations of 'embarrassing'
situations.  As David Powers has aptly said, unexplained bursts of
laughter occur for *many* reasons.  There is no reason to suppose that
this situation is more embarrassing for a blind person when it does occur.
Contrary to Welcome Sekwati and David Powers' assumptions, I, personally,
don't find this situation all that frequent.

> ... visual appreciation of the gestures captures
> additional useful information (e.g. the McGurk effect).

Robert Engelbretson's point bears repeating: language is redundant.  I may
occasionally miss a nuance, but rarely find myself totally at sea during
an interaction.  I have difficulty constructing a context in which failure
to be taken in by the McGurk Effect would be a disadvantage.

> Having to try to have notes ready and
> brailled in advance is extremely difficult ...

I always prepare my teaching notes in braille before class.  Thanks to
modern computer technology, it is no more difficult to send your file to a
braille printer than to an ink printer.

> I would also note that the responses Kela has been so properly
> impressed with have been from sighted linguists undertaking
> doctorates, and so are not necessarily representative of the general
> blind population.

Incorrect.  Those of us who have represented ourselves as blind, *are*
blind; we are also doctoral candidates in linguistics.  One might at least
grant that we are more representative of the blind population than our
sighted colleagues who have contributed to this discussion.  I think we
all agree that this remains a potentially interesting area for future
investigation.

Best,
Sheri