8.296, Qs: Lg Policy, Adverbs, "Co-"

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Feb 28 15:52:08 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-296. Fri Feb 28 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.296, Qs: Lg Policy, Adverbs, "Co-"

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: T. Daniel Seely <seely at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 26 Feb 97 14:30:28 EDT
From:  BETINA CASTANO <castanob at alpha.montclair.edu>
Subject:   European Community Language Policy

2)
Date:  Fri, 28 Feb 97 12:29:46 JST
From:  hiro-t <hiro-t at ias.tokushima-u.ac.jp>
Subject:   _completely_ dead?

3)
Date:  Fri, 28 Feb 1997 14:48:31 GMT
From:  mluisa.marti at uam.es
Subject:  The Prefix "co-" in English and in Spanish

Date:  Wed, 26 Feb 97 14:30:28 EDT
From:  BETINA CASTANO <castanob at alpha.montclair.edu>

I would appreciate if somebody could send me information on the European
Community Language Policy. Thank you.

Betina A. Castano
castanob at alpha.montclair.edu

Date:  Fri, 28 Feb 97 12:29:46 JST
From:  hiro-t <hiro-t at ias.tokushima-u.ac.jp>

Dear colleagues,
   I am ivesting the collocational possibilities of "degree adverbs +
adjectives/verbs." Please help me with acceptablity judgement tests.
Thanks a lot in advance.  The problem is: can a man be _completely_
dead in what sense?  Please put OK, ? or * in each slot. I will post a
summary.

   (1) a. (   )The victim is completely dead.
       b. (   )The victim is perfectly dead.
       c. (   )The victim is totally dead.
       d. (   )The victim is utterly dead.
       e. (   )The victim is entirely dead.
       f. (   )The victim is absolutely dead.
       g. (   )The victim is very dead.
       h. (   )The victim is quite dead.

   (2) a. (   )The victim is completely alive.
       b. (   )The victim is almost alive.
       c. (   )The victim is perfectly alive.
       d. (   )The victim is surprisingly alive.
       e. (   )The victim is very much alive.

   (3) a. (   )The issue is completely dead now.
       b. (   )The issue is almost dead now.
       c. (   )The issue is very dead now.

   (4) a. (   )The door is completely open.
       b. (   )The door is totally open.
       c. (   )The door is quite open.
       d. (   )The door is very open.

   (5) a. (   )The door is completely shut/closed.
       b. (   )The door is totally shut/closed.
(J c. (   )The door is quite shut/closed.
       d. (   )The door is very shut/closed.
(In (5a-d), please make comments on the difference between adverbs
+ _shut_ and _closed_, if any.)

   (6) a. (   )He wrote the letter completely.
       b. (   )He wrote the letter perfectly.
       c. (   )He completely wrote the letter.
       d. (   )He has written the letter completely.
       e. (   )He has completely written the letter.
       f. (   )He is writing the letter completely.
       g. (   )He is completely writing the letter.

   (7) a. (   )The victim is dying completely.
       b. (   )The victim dies completely.
       c. (   )The victim died completely.
       d. (   )The victim has died completely.
       e. (   )The victim is completely dying.
       f. (   )The victim completely dies.
       g. (   )The victim completely died.
       h. (   )The victim has completely died.

   (8) a. His nose was almost completelyu blocked (   )by/(   )with
          caked blood.
       b. And then opening at the top of the hole was completely covered
          (   )by/(   )with this fat form darkening everything so that it was
          no longer possible to see.

Best Wishes,

Hiroaki Tanaka

Associate Professor,
1-1, Minamijousanjima-cho, Tokushima, 770, Japan
Faculty of Integrated Arts and Sciences,
Tokushima University, Japan

hiro-t at ias.tokushima-u.ac.jp