8.17, Qs: Arabic name, Ebonics, Arabic lx

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jan 15 23:07:31 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-17. Wed Jan 15 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.17, Qs: Arabic name, Ebonics, Arabic lx

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Susan Robinson <sue at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 11 Jan 1997 23:17:09 -0600 (CST)
From:  lhartman at siu.edu (Lee Hartman)
Subject:  Spelling  a name in Arabic

2)
Date:  Sat, 11 Jan 1997 18:06:12 -0500
From:  Donna Christian <donna at cal.org>
Subject:  Ebonics

3)
Date:  Sat, 11 Jan 1997 22:03:24 +1100 (EST)
From:  michael hall <s_mjhall at eduserv.its.unimelb.EDU.AU>
Subject:  Arabic

Date:  Sat, 11 Jan 1997 23:17:09 -0600 (CST)
From:  lhartman at siu.edu (Lee Hartman)

        Can someone help me with the spelling, in Arabic,
of the name of this historical personage?
        Histories of Spain tell us that the Moorish Invasion of A.D. 711
was led by one Tarik or Tariq or T.ariq, whose name contributed
the final syllable of _Gibraltar_ (said to be from _jabal at-tariq_,
'mountain of Tariq').
        My questions:
        1)  Is the first letter indeed "emphatic" _t_, the one usually
                romanized with a "subdot"?
        2)  Is the last consonant the velar _k_, or the uvular _q_?
        3)  Is either of the vowels long?
        4)  Is this name commonly used today?
        5)  Is "jabal at-Tariq" grammatically plausible as an "id.a:fa"
                construction?  I.e., would the personal name take the
                definite article?
        6)  Bonus question:  How does one spell _Qaddafi_?
                Journalists seem to vary it at random.
        I'm in limbo:  I know enough about Arabic to _care_ about
these questions, but not enough to be able to resolve them.
        Please respond to me individually, not to the list.
Since I presume the interested audience is small, I will NOT
post a summary, but will answer individual inquiries from the
curious.

Lee Hartman
Dept. of Foreign Languages
Southern Illinois University