8.22, Qs: Wh, Construction, Database, Sp analysis

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Jan 16 14:31:45 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-22. Thu Jan 16 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.22, Qs: Wh, Construction, Database, Sp analysis

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: T. Daniel Seely <seely at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 10 Jan 97 21:45:32 EST
From:  Olivier Tardif <ah891832 at er.uqam.ca>
Subject:  +wh in situ

2)
Date:  Fri, 10 Jan 1997 01:29:46 -0500
From:  Kate Gladstone & Andrew Haber <kate at global2000.net>
Subject:  query re whether a certain structure occurs in any language

3)
Date:  Fri, 10 Jan 1997 10:55:30 +1100
From:  Ion Androutsopoulos <ion at mri.mq.edu.au>
Subject:  URLs for commercial NL database interfaces

4)
Date:  Thu, 9 Jan 1997 13:28:29 +-100
From:  "office" <office at media-enterprise.de>
Subject:  looking for audio and speech material from various languages

Date:  Fri, 10 Jan 97 21:45:32 EST
From:  Olivier Tardif <ah891832 at er.uqam.ca>

Hello.

I am a student at the Universite du Quebec a Montreal. I am looking for some
examples of +wh "in situ" in the popular speech of 17th century french; this
phenomenon is quite common in contemporary french ("Tu fais QUOI?", "Vous
allez OU?" as opposed to the correct forms "Que fais-tu?", "Ou allez-vous?"
etc.), but it has never been attested for the classical period. Since the
grammar books of that time did not care much to describe popular speech, I
have to look for some writers that did. Does somebody know of an author,
playwiter or grammarian, who took record of 17th century french's "slang"?

Thanks.
Olivier Tardif
ah891832 at er.uqam.ca