8.35, Qs: Language, Consonants, Dhophadola

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Jan 17 15:52:25 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-35. Fri Jan 17 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.35, Qs: Language, Consonants, Dhophadola

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: T. Daniel Seely <seely at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 15 Jan 1997 23:58:10 -0500
From:  Kate Gladstone & Andrew Haber <kate at global2000.net>
Subject:  language or Spanish (?) dialect called "Spaniolish"

2)
Date:  Mon, 06 Jan 1997 13:51:44 +0000
From:  "john m. whitney" <whitneyj at crd.GE.COM>
Subject:  list of consonant clusters

3)
Date:  Thu, 16 Jan 1997 14:58:54 +0100 (MET)
From:  "Michael.Meeuwis" <meeuwis at uia.ua.ac.be>
Subject:  Dhophadola

Date:  Wed, 15 Jan 1997 23:58:10 -0500
From:  Kate Gladstone & Andrew Haber <kate at global2000.net>

A 1930s USA Remington Typewriter advertisement boasted taht the typewriters
had been used to type in 87 languages, which were listed.
      Some of the language-names, e.g., "Taal", are languages now known
under other names ("Taal" turns out to be Afrikaans, according to several
unabridged dictionaries) -- but one of the language-names has stumped not
only myself, but everyone & every dictionary or other source I've checked
(including the Oxford English Dictionary): what's "Spaniolish"?-- i.e.,
where/when is/was this language spoken?
      From the name, I would *guess* it to be a language related to Spanish
-  or else a dialect of Spanish -- spoken by a group in some
Germanic-language-speaking country (conjecturing "espa=F1ol" + -ish/-isch" a=
the source of the name), but I would really like to KNOW.
     Anyone with information about "Spaniolish", please share it!

Yours for better letters,

Kate Gladstone
Handwriting Repair
325 South Manning Boulevard