8.37, TOC: COMPUTERS AND THE HUMANITIES v.30 no.3

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Jan 17 17:47:58 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-37. Fri Jan 17 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.37, TOC: COMPUTERS AND THE HUMANITIES v.30 no.3

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

At the end of the issue is a statement of our policy regarding TOCs
and instructions on retrieving backlists of journal TOCs from our listserv.

                    COMPUTERS AND THE HUMANITIES
                        Volume 30 No. 3 1996

The third number of Volume 30 (1996) of Computers and the
Humanities (CHum) has just been published by Kluwer Academic
Press.

This issue introduces a new feature of the journal entitled
"Debates in Humanities Computing". This first debate in the
series treats the controversial topic of statistical methods for
authorship attribution, which has recently received
unprecedented coverage in the international press: first,
concerning the controversy over Richard Abrams' and Donald
Foster's assertion of Shakespearean authorship of an obscure
elegy, and later (and even more spectacularly), concerning
Foster's subsequent attempt to identify the author of "Primary
Colors" (Random House, 1996). To satisfy the obsession of the
White House staff and the Washington and New York press corps to
find out who wrote the book, Foster created an e-text archive of
the principal candidates and used statistical methods to
identify CBS correspondent Joe Klein as the author. After
repeated denials on numerous international television shows and
in the press, Klein finally admitted writing "Primary Colors",
leading to unprecedented media interest in methods that have
been a mainstay of humanities computing for decades.

The debate presented in this number of Computers and the
Humanities includes an attack by Elliot and Valenza on
statistical methods used in Shakepearean authorship studies, and
Donald Foster's detailed rebuttal of their claims. The regular
articles in the issue also report on results of
computer-assisted stylistic studies.

The articles in this number of CHum are sure to fuel the
continued debate over statistical methods, and is of interest to
all those involved in authorship and stylistic studies as well
as statistical methods for language analysis generally.

                   COMPUTERS AND THE HUMANITIES
                      Volume 30 No. 3 1996

                        Table of Contents
                        -----------------

DEBATES IN HUMANITIES COMPUTING: Methodology in Authorship Studies

  And Then There Were None: Winnowing the Shakespeare Claimants
    Ward E. Y. Elliot and Robert J. Valenza

  Response to Elliot and Valenza "And Then There were None"
    Donald W. Foster

REGULAR PAPERS

  Traditional and Emotional Stylometric Analysis of the Songs of
  Beatles Paul McCartney and John Lennon
    Cynthia Whissell

  Tamburlaine Stalks in Henry VI
    Thomas Merriam

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

              INFORMATION ABOUT COMPUTERS AND THE HUMANITIES

Computers and the Humanities
      The Official Journal of The Association for Computers and the
      Humanities

Editors-in-Chief:
      Nancy Ide, Dept. of Computer Science, Vassar College, USA
      Daniel Greenstein, Executive, Arts and Humanities Data Services,
         King's College, UK

or contact:

      Dieke van Wijnen
      Kluwer Academic Publishers
      Spuiboulevard 50
      P.O. Box 17
      3300 AA Dordrecht
      The Netherlands

      Phone: (+31) 78 639 22 64
      Fax: (+31) 78 639 22 54
      E-mail: Dieke.vanWijnen at wkap.nl

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

We publish the tables of contents of current journal issues and
working papers if they are of reasonable length; and we maintain
journal backlists on our listserv.  Our resources, however, do not
allow us to post the tables of contents of books.

Available journal backlists include:
	AFRICL LST   (Linguistique Africaine)
	AIReview lst (Artificial Intelligence Review)
        CAHIERS LST  (Les Cahiers de Grammaire)
	compling lst (Computational Linguistics)
	LI lst       (Linguistic Inquiry)
        NALA lst     (Natural Language and Linguistic Theory)

To retrieve a backlist, send the message:
    get <listname> linguist                      Ex:  get LI lst linguist
    listserv at tamvm1.tamu.edu