8.48, Disc: Ebonics

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Jan 18 14:58:59 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-48. Sat Jan 18 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.48, Disc: Ebonics

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: T. Daniel Seely <seely at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 29 Dec 1996 14:13:40 -0800 (PST)
From:  Johanna Rubba <jrubba at harp.aix.calpoly.edu>
Subject:  Ebonics

2)
Date:  Thu, 2 Jan 1997 20:27:35 -0500
From:  Kate Gladstone & Andrew Haber <kate at global2000.net>
Subject:  Re: 7.1825, Disc: Ebonics

3)
Date:  Fri, 3 Jan 1997 15:14:11 -0500
From:  lexes at atl.mindspring.com
Subject:  Re: Ebonics

4)
Date:  Sun, 5 Jan 1997 11:44:49 -0500
From:  lexes at atl.mindspring.com

Date:  Sun, 29 Dec 1996 14:13:40 -0800 (PST)
From:  Johanna Rubba <jrubba at harp.aix.calpoly.edu>

I, too, have been following this debate, albeit not as closely as I would
like, due to time constraints.

Pete Farrugio's piece is very nice (did it get published?). I myself am
working on a piece that the LA Times might publish, if I can dumb it down
enough (my first attempt was deemed overly 'professorial').

I don't think we should call Ebonics a 'triviality', though. I think many
people will get the wrong impression that linguists trivialize their daily
language practices and home ways of speaking.

I also detect some misinformation underpinning the Ebonics proposal. Did
Toni Cook (Oakland school board pres.)  really say that Ebonics is
genetic?? Somehow part of the genetic heritage of the grandchildren of
African slaves? With features typical of 'West African language'*? Any
linguist should definitely scoff at this! Such ideas are being
used as the basis for formulating educational policy? Linguists may not
be able to do much about the great masses' knowledge of how language
works, but we should definitely be 'interfacing' more with our
educational establishment so that nonsense like this doesn't spill from
a school board president's lips!! Things like this aren't trivial, either.

*I'm aware of the West African pidgin/creole hypothesis as the origin of
AAVE, and don't mean to disparage that here; the notion that all West
African languages might be uniform enough to contribute the same features
to AAVE is what I would question.

I am also perturbed at everyone's** universal acceptance of dialect
discrimination in the workplace. I know this is a biggie, but it _is_ a
form of discrimination (actually, educational discrimination in the form
of improper placement in special ed. and remedial ed. programs is the
greatest harm that results from misunderstanding of dialect variation).
Aren't we supposed to oppose discrimination that is based on
misinformation (that one dialect is 'good English' and another 'bad'?)

**Most everyone venting in public forums like radio shows and letters to
the editor.

I hope other listers will have some thoughts on this. I hope others are
writing to newspapers, etc., too. It's time we became a little more
visible in these debates.

Johanna Rubba	Assistant Professor, Linguistics              ~
English Department, California Polytechnic State University   ~
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407                                     ~
Tel. (805)-756-2184  E-mail: jrubba at oboe.aix.calpoly.edu      ~