8.50, Qs: Irish, Scanners, Financial

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Jan 18 15:46:32 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-50. Sat Jan 18 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.50, Qs: Irish, Scanners, Financial

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: T. Daniel Seely <seely at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 17 Jan 1997 05:58:46 -0500
From:  Dan & Alysse Rasmussen <danr at inetw.net>
Subject:  Irish "After"s

2)
Date:          Thu, 16 Jan 97 15:17:17 EST
From:  Stanley Dubinsky <DUBINSK at VM.SC.EDU>
Subject:       hand-held scanners

3)
Date:  Fri, 17 Jan 1997 11:29:49 -0800
From:  Boris Aleksandrovsky <boris at laguna.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject:  Financial industry lexicons

Date:  Fri, 17 Jan 1997 05:58:46 -0500
From:  Dan & Alysse Rasmussen <danr at inetw.net>

A discussion of Irish-isms came up on another list and has left us
with a puzzle:

"I'm after going to the pub to fetch me Gran"

Does it mean
a) I will go to the pub to get Granny
or
b) I've already gone to the pub and got Granny

Thanks in advance
Alysse Rasmussen, danr at inetw.net
Instructor, Lake Sumter Community College
Freelance Lecturer, Florida School for the Deaf
http://members.aol.com/alysser/