8.63, Disc: Ebonics

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jan 21 14:58:45 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-63. Tue Jan 21 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.63, Disc: Ebonics

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: T. Daniel Seely <seely at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 19 Jan 1997 15:20:20 -0700
From:  pfarr at uclink4.berkeley.edu (Peter Farruggio)
Subject:  revised Oakland ebonics wording

2)
Date:  	Mon, 20 Jan 1997 07:43:38 -0600
From:  Peter Daniels <pdaniels at press-gopher.uchicago.edu>
Subject:  Re: 8.55, Disc: Ebonics

3)
Date:  Mon, 20 Jan 1997 03:27:27 -0800 (PST)
From:  bwald at HUMnet.UCLA.EDU (benji wald)
Subject:  the new Oakland resolution

Date:  Sun, 19 Jan 1997 15:20:20 -0700
From:  pfarr at uclink4.berkeley.edu (Peter Farruggio)

FYI,

I just received the Oakland school district's revised resolution on ebonics
(as amended at the school board meeting of 1/15/97)  I cannot type the
whole resolution, but one part that is of most significance to linguists is
the question of "language or dialect?", and that is covered in the opening
two paragraphs.  The first paragraph remains unchanged:

>    Whereas, numerous validated scholarly studies demonstrate that
>African American students as part of their culture and history as African
>people possess and utilize a language described in various scholarly
>approaches as ``Ebonics'' (literally Black sounds) or Pan African
>Communication Behaviors or African Language Systems; and

The second paragraph contained the infamous "genetically based"
formulation, and that has been deleted.  Here is the original:

>        Whereas, these studies have also demonstrated that African
>Language Systems are genetically-based and not a dialect of English; and

Here is the revised version:

                "Whereas, these studies have also demonstrated that African
Language Systems (bold print begins) have origins in West and Niger-Congo
languages (bold print ends) and (bold print begins) are (bold ends) not
(bold begins) merely (bold ends) dialects of English; and..."

(Sorry about the parentheticals, but my software does not allow for bold or
italics.  The bold print is in the printed version handed out in all
schools last Friday for distribution to teachers)

The position seems a bit waffly to me..." not merely dialects of English"
suggests to me that it is a dialect (or dialects) of English, but with
African influences...but a literal reading would mean that it's a dialect
and then some, I guess.

This particular revision was not done by the two newly elected school board
members (they proposed other changes), but by the  "African American Task
Force" that had drafted the original resolution.  They met in a closed door
meeting for ten hours the Saturday before the Wed. school board meeting,
and made several revisions to the original controversial text.

Pete Farruggio
Oakland, CA