8.75, TOC: MITWPL 28: Endangered languages

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Jan 23 03:55:44 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-75. Wed Jan 22 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.75, TOC: MITWPL 28: Endangered languages

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

At the end of the issue is a statement of our policy regarding TOCs
and instructions on retrieving backlists of journal TOCs from our listserv.

MIT Working Papers in Linguistics is pleased to announce the
publication of its 28th volume of Working Papers, "Papers on
Language Endangerment and the Maintenance of Linguistic
Diversity". This volume, edited by Jonathan David Bobaljik, Rob
Pensalfini, and Luciana Storto, grew out of a workshop series
held at MIT in January 1995. The workshop placed a particular
emphasis on the thorny question of 'what works in language
maintenance?', and in addition to papers presented at the
workshop the editors have collected papers from other authors
recommended by presenters and a preliminary bibliography drawn
from the extensive bibliographies provided by members of this
list.

The contents of the volume are:
        Introduction (general questions of endangerment and survival)
                                - Jonathan Bobaljik & Rob Pensalfini
        Can Senior Secondary Studies Help to Maintain and Strengthen
                Australia's Indigenous Languages ?
                                - Antonio Mercurio and Rob Amery
        The Ulwa language wakes up
                                - Thomas Green
        A report on language endangerment in Brazil
                                - Luciana Storto
        Modern Irish: A Case Study in Language Revival Failure
                                - Andrew Carnie
        Explaining and Reversing the Failure of the Irish Language Revival
                                - Peter Slomanson
        Universal grammar and the roots of linguistic diversity
                                - Ken Hale
        Language Endangerment & the Non-indigenous Minority Languages
                in the UK
                                - Mahendra K. Verma
        Policy Statment: the need for the documentation of linguistic diversity
                                - Linguistic Society of America
        A Preliminary Bibliography on Language Endangerment and Preservation
                                - Jonathan Bobaljik, Rob Pensalfini &
                                  Luciana Storto

The volume costs US$12 (+postage/handling of $2-$3 surface,
$5-$12 air) and can be ordered from MIT Working Papers in
linguistics by writing to them at MITWPL, MIT Room 20D-219,
Cambridge MA02139, USA or by sending email to MITWPL at MIT.EDU.

We publish the tables of contents of current journal issues and
working papers if they are of reasonable length; and we maintain
journal backlists on our listserv.  Our resources, however, do not
allow us to post the tables of contents of books.

Available journal backlists include:
	AFRICL LST   (Linguistique Africaine)
	AIReview lst (Artificial Intelligence Review)
        CAHIERS LST  (Les Cahiers de Grammaire)
	compling lst (Computational Linguistics)
	LI lst       (Linguistic Inquiry)
        NALA lst     (Natural Language and Linguistic Theory)

To retrieve a backlist, send the message:
    get <listname> linguist                      Ex:  get LI lst linguist
    listserv at listserv.tamu.edu