8.83, Qs: Yes/no, Chinese, Address, Quote

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Jan 23 14:06:05 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-83. Thu Jan 23 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.83, Qs: Yes/no, Chinese, Address, Quote

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: T. Daniel Seely <seely at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 20 Jan 1997 21:46:51 +0000
From:  cpeust at gwdg.de
Subject:   yes and no

2)
Date:  Mon, 20 Jan 97 15:56:05 GMT
From:  Paul Woods <P.Woods at dcs.shef.ac.uk>
Subject:  Chinese Corpora

3)
Date:  Fri, 17 Jan 1997 15:32:10 -0600 (CST)
From:  Rebecca Larche Moreton <mlrlm at sunset.backbone.olemiss.edu>
Subject:  Address of Southeast Asian Summer Studies

4)
Date:  Mon, 20 Jan 1997 16:50:40 -0012
From:  "Donn Bayard, Anthropology Dept., Univ. of Otago, Dunedin, NZ"
      <ANTH03 at rivendell.otago.ac.nz>
Subject:  Weinreich quote

Date:  Mon, 20 Jan 1997 21:46:51 +0000
From:  cpeust at gwdg.de

Dear linguists,

it is quite obvious what "yes" and "no" mean as an answer to
affirmative questions:

Can you see me? - No(, I can't)   means: I cannot see you,
Can you see me? - Yes(, I can)   means: I can see you.

If the question is negative, "yes" and "no" in English refer
to the propositional content of the question only, so the
implication of "yes" and "no" is still the same:

Can't you see me? - No(, I can't)    means: I cannot see you,
Can't you see me? - Yes(, I can)    means: I can see you.

German behaves similarly in principle but shows the peculiarity that
there are different renderings of "yes" after an affirmative question
("ja") and after a negative question ("doch").

I have heard of languages in which the scope of "yes" and "no"
includes the negation within the question, so here one would have:

Can't you see me? - Yes(, I can't)   meaning: I cannot see you,
Can't you see me? - No(, I can)      meaning: I can see you.

If I remember rightly, Japanese and Kisuaheli were said to construct
"yes" and "no" this way.

There are probably also languages which have no word like "yes" and
"no" altogether (classical Latin).

Now I am looking for
- information on the way different languages behave in this respect
- references to general literature on the topic

I will be glad for any answer. A summary will be posted.

Carsten Peust
Seminar of Egyptology and Coptology
Goettingen
cpeust at gwdg.de