8.84, Qs: Borrow, Formality, Biology, Dyslexic

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Jan 23 14:18:41 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-84. Thu Jan 23 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.84, Qs: Borrow, Formality, Biology, Dyslexic

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: T. Daniel Seely <seely at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 22 Jan 1997 08:38:34 +1200
From:  "Jan Tent, University of the South Pacific" <tent_j at usp.ac.fj>
Subject:  Borrowing; _frangue_

2)
Date:  Wed, 22 Jan 97 13:17:38 GMT
From:  Paul Woods <P.Woods at dcs.shef.ac.uk>
Subject:  Formality & Register

3)
Date:  Wed, 15 Jan 1997 16:20:28 -0500 (EST)
From:  peter avery <avery at chass.utoronto.ca>
Subject:  language and biology

4)
Date:  Sat, 28 Dec 1996 14:16:45 -0800
From:  tygger <tygger at ix.netcom.com>
Subject:  dyslexic second language learner

Date:  Wed, 22 Jan 1997 08:38:34 +1200
From:  "Jan Tent, University of the South Pacific" <tent_j at usp.ac.fj>

Dear LINGUISTS,

Can anyone help me with the following two questions?

1. Language A adopts a word with the coda: /...Vld/ (where the /l/ is
a velarised alveolar lateral, as in English 'told') from language B.
Language A has a CVCVCV-type syllable structure and has the following
consonant phonemes:

                          p      t      ?
                          f              h
                          m    n

where /r/ is either a flap or a trill, and /?/ is a glottal stop.

In all likelihood an epenthetic vowel will appear between the
original /l/ and /d/, and the /d/ will changed to a /t/.  But how will
the velarised lateral be "translated": as /r/, /u/, or something
else?

Does anyone know of any specific examples of the type of borrowing
as outlined?

2.  I am also interested in finding out which languages use or have
used _frangue_ (f. Portuguese, meaning 'Frank') but now generally
meaning 'a European person or whiteperson' (it also can have the meaning
'skin disease of the Europeans; yaws'), or any of its many reflexes
e.g. _feringhee_, _parangi_ (in Sinhalese), _farangi_ (in Hindi,
Farsi), _faranggi/faranji/peringgi/feringgi_ (in Malay).

Many thanks in advance.

Jan Tent
Department of Literature and Language
School of Humanities