8.86, Disc: Ebonics

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Jan 23 14:33:55 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-86. Thu Jan 23 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.86, Disc: Ebonics

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: T. Daniel Seely <seely at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 21 Jan 1997 15:20:38 -0500 (EST)
From:  molsen at umiacs.umd.edu (Mari Broman Olsen)
Subject:  Dialect diversity in other countries (was "Ebonics")

2)
Date:  Wed, 22 Jan 1997 08:04:33 -0800 (PST)
From:  Dan Moonhawk Alford <dalford at haywire.csuhayward.edu>
Subject:  Re: 8.63, Disc: Ebonics and 'principles'

3)
Date:  Wed, 22 Jan 1997 19:42:11 -0800 (PST)
From:  bwald at HUMnet.UCLA.EDU (benji wald)
Subject:  Re: 8.73, Disc: Ebonics

Date:  Tue, 21 Jan 1997 15:20:38 -0500 (EST)
From:  molsen at umiacs.umd.edu (Mari Broman Olsen)

With the exception of the post from Stirling Newberry
<allegro at thecia.net>, analogies (or analyses) from other countries
with linguistic diversity have been lacking in the Ebonics postings.
America is relatively new to such controversy.  What do the
experienced linguistic planners think about this debate:   a flash in
the pan? a recognizable step toward linguistic diversity? paternalism
masquerading as linguistics?   I'd like to know....

********
Mari Broman Olsen
Research Associate

University of Maryland Institute for Advanced Computer Studies
3141 A.V. Williams Building
University of Maryland
College Park, MD  20742

(301) 405-6754	 FAX:  (301) 314-9658