8.108, Qs: Syllabic, English, Program, Gaelic

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Jan 26 14:29:13 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-108. Sun Jan 26 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.108, Qs: Syllabic, English, Program, Gaelic

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: T. Daniel Seely <seely at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 24 Jan 1997 18:17:45 +0100
From:  Alain Content <acontent at ulb.ac.be>
Subject:   Names for Syllabic constituents

2)
Date:  Sat, 25 Jan 1997 09:45:02 -0600
From:  yystud at ibmstone.pku.edu.cn
Subject:  Spoken English corpus

3)
Date:  Sat, 25 Jan 1997 02:19:08 -0600
From:  Monica Macaulay <mmacaula at facstaff.wisc.edu>
Subject:  lg textbooks & dictionaries - grad program?

4)
Date:  Sat, 18 Jan 1997 10:39:06 +0700 (BKK)
From:  Kalaya Tingsabadh <kalaya at chulkn.car.chula.ac.th>
Subject:  Gaelic pronunciation

Date:  Fri, 24 Jan 1997 18:17:45 +0100
From:  Alain Content <acontent at ulb.ac.be>

We need to find a quick-and-easy term to refer to the constituent
corresponding to the initial and final part of syllables, ie, C*V and
VC*.  In the psycholinguistic literature, "body" and "rime" are
standardly used to refer to the nucleus+ coda constituent. Body is
being used more often to refer to the orthographic equivalent of the
rime.  However, there does not seem to be an agreed label for the
constituent corresponding to the Onset+Nucleus.  After a few days and
nights of harsh debates and headaches, we failed to reach and
agreement, but had a number of suggestions : Start, Head, Init, Trunk,
Front, Fore Some authors have also used Antibody, but, somehow, we
don't really find it transparent.  But some colleague told us that
Head meant something different in current phonological theories. Is
there a standard term? Anyone would dare a suggestion o r an advice

Thanks in advance.