8.128, Disc: Ebonics

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jan 29 04:36:56 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-128. Tue Jan 28 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.128, Disc: Ebonics

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 26 Jan 1997 21:48:47 -0700 (MST)
From:  wfking at CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject:  Re: 8.110, Disc: Ebonics

2)
Date:  Sun, 26 Jan 1997 23:11:21 -0800 (PST)
From:  bwald at HUMnet.UCLA.EDU (benji wald)
Subject:  Re: 8.110, Disc: Ebonics/Linguistics myths

3)
Date:  Tue, 28 Jan 1997 15:47:47 -0500
From:  Kate Gladstone & Andrew Haber <kate at global2000.net>
Subject:  Here's the full text of the L.A. Times anti-Ebonics letter.

Date:  Sun, 26 Jan 1997 21:48:47 -0700 (MST)
From:  wfking at CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU

Ron Anderson's comment brought to mind the curricula of 19th century
US public schools.  Spoken language was often a separate component given
as much weight as written English and Mathematics.  Originally I thought
that this was due to the "Free School Districts" following the model of
private education, but now I'm not so sure.  Does anyone have any
information?

Bill King
University of Arizona