8.979, Qs: AAV, wh- Movement, Lx and lg teaching

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jul 2 03:47:58 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-979. Tue Jul 1 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.979, Qs: AAV, wh- Movement, Lx and lg teaching

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 30 Jun 1997 06:42:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:  "James Jenkins (PSY)" <jenkins at luna.cas.usf.edu>
Subject:  African-American Vernacular

2)
Date:  Mon, 30 Jun 1997 13:15:06 +0200
From:  Gisbert Fanselow <fanselow at rz.uni-potsdam.de>
Subject:  Partial wh- Movement and scope marking

3)
Date:  Fri, 27 Jun 1997 20:18:18 -0400
From:  Alysse or Dan Rasmussen <danr at inetw.net>
Subject:  Q:  Linguistics in the FL Classroom

Date:  Mon, 30 Jun 1997 06:42:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:  "James Jenkins (PSY)" <jenkins at luna.cas.usf.edu>

African-American Vernacular (or Ebonics): One of my students, Sonja
Trent, is doing a dissertation that involves experimental work
(similar to Berko-Gleason's) on the acquisition of syntactic and
morphological rules by native speakers of AAV.  We would appreciate
any references to grammars (or pieces of grammars) of AAV, especially
concerning pluralizations, tense markers, mass nouns vs count nouns,
or any morpho-phonemic rules that differ from "standard" American
English.  We will be happy to do a summary if there is interest in
such.  Please reply to Jenkins at luna.cas.usf.edu Thanks for your help.

James J. Jenkins
Psychology Department
University of South Florida