8.1000, Disc: Digital/Analog Tape Recorders

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Jul 4 18:20:55 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1000. Fri Jul 4 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1000, Disc: Digital/Analog Tape Recorders

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Assistant Editor:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 2 Jul 1997 12:00:59 +0100
From:  John Coleman <john.coleman at phonetics.oxford.ac.uk>
Subject:  Digital/Analog Tape Recorders

Date:  Wed, 2 Jul 1997 12:00:59 +0100
From:  John Coleman <john.coleman at phonetics.oxford.ac.uk>

Arienne Dwyer cites a comment of Rober Englebretson that is
pessimistic about the advantages of DAT compared with cassette tapes
regarding digitization:

> I don't know that DAT would be any less time-consuming.  Unless you
> have a soundcard which supports direct digital input (in which case
> there will probably be issues with sampling rate), most people find
> they end up connecting the line out from their DAT into the line in on
> the computer-- essentially re-digitizing the analog signal from the
> DAT line-out.

There is a simple (and not particularly expensive) alternative to
either of these rigmaroles, which we employ in my lab. We have a DAT
drive on our local network for data storage (backups etc.), but it can
also be used to read DAT audio tapes, allowing DAT digital audio to be
transferred to the computer without going via an intermediate analogue
stage.

-
John Coleman

Director, Oxford University Phonetics Laboratory
41 Wellington Square, Oxford OX1 2JF, UK

Home page: http://www.phon.ox.ac.uk/