8.1047, Qs: Eng adj, Frequencies, Fijian

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Jul 13 03:45:55 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1047. Sat Jul 12 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1047, Qs: Eng adj, Frequencies, Fijian

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Assistant Editor:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 11 Jul 1997 19:19:33 +0900 (JST)
From:  umesaki at tezukayama-u.ac.jp
Subject:  Eng adjectives

2)
Date:  Fri, 11 Jul 97 10:54:29 MDT
From:  "Melanie Misanchuk" <mmisanch at acs.ucalgary.ca>
Subject:  frequencies of word beginnings

3)
Date:  Fri, 11 Jul 1997 15:52:27 +0900
From:  KIKUSAWA Ritsuko <ritsuko at aa.tufs.ac.jp>
Subject:  Fijian teaching materials

Date:  Fri, 11 Jul 1997 19:19:33 +0900 (JST)
From:  umesaki at tezukayama-u.ac.jp

I am working on English adjectives. Are the following sentences
acceptable? If acceptable, please mark them with a check.  If not
acceptable, please mark them with a cross. If uncertain or dubious,
please mark them with a question mark. Any comment is welcome.

(1)	John was careful to lock the door.
(2)	John was greedy to keep all the money to himself.
(3)	John was worthy to be praised by them all.
(4)	The place is convenient to visit.
(5)	John is jealous that she succeeded.
(6)	John was bored to hear her endless talk.
(7)	John was confused to be told to do so many things at once.
(8)	John was hurt to be insulted.
(9)	I am eager that they should win.
(10) John was incredulous that Mary put it into practice.
(11) Mary is keen that we should go.
(12) It was heroic of them to oppose the invader.
(13) John was irresponsible to sabotage his duties.
(14) It is significant that they worked as volunteers.
(15) It is sufficient to give him some money.
(16) It is not suitable to dress casual at a wedding reception.

Atsuko Umesaki (umesaki at tezukayama-u.ac.jp)
./