8.1077, Disc: Evolution analytic > synthetic

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jul 21 23:51:20 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1077. Mon Jul 21 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1077, Disc: Evolution analytic > synthetic

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Assistant Editor:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 18 Jul 1997 04:21:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:  bwald at HUMnet.UCLA.EDU (benji wald)
Subject:  Re: 8.1059, Disc: Evolution analytic > synthetic

Date:  Fri, 18 Jul 1997 04:21:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:  bwald at HUMnet.UCLA.EDU (benji wald)

On Sun, 13 Jul 1997  Bill Bennett wrote:

 If my language use sought conciseness
>(implicitness), than in time it might be working at the well-known
>"now for cocoa and I'll put the cat out" with one vocable, the
>language might end as "ugh" (synethesis) - unless the language were to
>be "saved" by a countering balance in explicitness.

I've always enjoyed the verbal humor of the Marx Brothers, what with
their puns and all (phonology is the beginning of humor), but only in
my dotage am I beginning to understand the exquisite wit and
profundity of Burns & Allens, e.g., what is going on in terms of
expectations for the discourse management of information in the
following exchange.

Gracie:  I cut myself with soup the other day.
George:  Hunh?
Gracie:  The other day I cut myself with soup.
George: You cut yourself with soup?
Gracie:  Yeah, I was opening the can and...

Keep it up with the implicit and the explicit and the concise and
economy for the speaker vs. intelligibility for the addressee
and-all-that.  In the final analysis, it is such exchanges as Burns &
Allens which ultimately explains why language will never reduce to
UGH.  Say goodnight...