8.1089, FYI: Acceptability of English Adjectives

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Jul 26 15:18:51 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1089. Sat Jul 26 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1089, FYI: Acceptability of English Adjectives

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Assistant Editor:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 24 Jul 1997 08:44:32 -0500 (EST)
From:  kristi lynne coburn <kcoburn at indiana.edu>
Subject:  Acceptability of English Adjectives

Date:  Thu, 24 Jul 1997 08:44:32 -0500 (EST)
From:  kristi lynne coburn <kcoburn at indiana.edu>

	I am going to use a different marking system, A for acceptable, U
for unacceptable, and there are none which I am unsure about.  I have also
added WHY they are unacceptable to me.
	By the way, I am a native of Seattle.

> Dear Linguists,
>
>      About a week ago I posted the following query.
>
> >I am working on English adjectives. Are the following sentences
> >acceptable? If acceptable, please mark them with a check.
> >If not acceptable, please mark them with a cross. If uncertain
> >or dubious, please mark them with a question mark. Any
> >comment is welcome.
> >
>A >(1)  John was careful to lock the door.
>U >(2)  John was greedy to keep all the money to himself.
	Ifyou change the preposition to for, then it's acceptable to me
>A >(3)  John was worthy to be praised by them all.
>A >(4)  The place is convenient to visit.
>A >(5)  John is jealous that she succeeded.
>A >(6)  John was bored to hear her endless talk.
>A >(7)  John was confused to be told to do so many things at once.
>A >(8)  John was hurt to be insulted.
>U >(9)  I am eager that they should win.
	for them to win, jproblem with using a modal

>A >(10) John was incredulous that Mary put it into practice.
>U >(11) Mary is keen that we should go.
	British, again, keen is a problem for me, but I won't count that
in deciding if it's acceptable or not since it's only a lexical
difference.  However, the ues of the modal here is wrong for me (by the
way, I spent a year in France teaching English in a French University, so
I am familiar with the British system.
>A >(12) It was heroic of them to oppose the invader.
>U >(13) John was irresponsible to sabotage his duties.
	can't sabatoge duties