8.1094, Qs: Jespersen, cleft sentences, Yiddish

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Jul 27 03:01:08 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1094. Sat Jul 26 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1094, Qs: Jespersen, cleft sentences, Yiddish

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Assistant Editor:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 25 Jul 1997 20:18:03 +0800 (TAIST)
From:  lichao at ibm320h.phy.pku.edu.cn
Subject:  query

2)
Date:  Fri, 25 Jul 1997 04:17:28 -0600
From:  leverett at siu.edu (Tom Leverett)
Subject:  cleft sentence

3)
Date:  Thu, 24 Jul 1997 14:49:01 +0200 (MET DST)
From:  Gisbert Fanselow <fanselow at rz.uni-potsdam.de>
Subject:  Query: Yiddish & partial movement

Date:  Fri, 25 Jul 1997 20:18:03 +0800 (TAIST)
From:  lichao at ibm320h.phy.pku.edu.cn

Dear fellow linguists,

Now I am preparing my thesis. I am intereted in Jespersen's view on
linguistic change, and will work on that. Jespersen saw linguistic
evolution as a progress rather than a decay. P. Christophersen says this is
"a view which few nowadays would endorse." But I show much doubt on this.
If any linguist likes to have his comments on Jespersen's theory shared,
I will show great appreciation. Also if anyone can provide me with the
information on the books or articles dealing with J's progressive view on
linguistic change, or his theory in general, I will be grafteful. I wish
to contact with everyone who is interested in Jespersen and in the topic
of linguistic change. Please tell your address. I will write a summary,
if necessary. Thank you in advance.

Li Chao
lichao at ibm320h.phy.pku.edu.cn