8.1096, Sum: vowel deletion between like consonants

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Jul 27 03:45:34 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1096. Sat Jul 26 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1096, Sum: vowel deletion between like consonants

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Assistant Editor:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 25 Jul 1997 15:59:49 -0400
From:  "LAS" <dharris at las-inc.com>
Subject:  summary: vowel deletion between two like consonants

Date:  Fri, 25 Jul 1997 15:59:49 -0400
From:  "LAS" <dharris at las-inc.com>

Quite some time ago, I wrote requesting information concerning
instances of proper names where the pronunciation reflects a deletion
of a vowel occuring between two like consonants in the spelling of the
name. I cited such names as FARRER [fEr] WORCESTER [wUst^r] and
LEICESTER [lEst^r] and had hoped to find a whole slew of other names
exhibiting this phenomenon.  Unfortunately, I got no responses which
dealt with proper nouns. However, I did get some interesting responses
discussing how this occurs in Hungarian, Arabic, and English outside
the realm of proper nouns. Thanks to all who responded. Sorry I didn't
post sooner. It's just that I had hoped to get something on proper
nouns before replying.

Sincerely, David Harris
David Harris                                   david at las-inc.com
Language Analysis Systems           Voice: (703) 834-6200 ext. 242
2214 Rock Hill Road, Suite 201      Fax:   (703) 834-6230
Herndon, VA  22070

Original Query:

>I've been thinking about names like Worcester, Leicester, and
>Gloucester which, though perhaps viewed by most of my fellow Americans
>as strange relics of British eccentricity, really do follow a simple
>and straightforward phonological process where two like consonantal
>continuants separated by a weak vowel (in this case schwa) are merged
>into one by the deletion of this weak vowel. The same phenomenon
>occurs with the name of a school in Provo, Utah which I attended as an
>adolescent:

> 	Farrer Junior High School
> 	This is pronounced "Fair" (or "Ferr" if your accent makes a
> 	difference between [Er] and [eir] which mine doesn't)
>

> Anyway, using a regular expression, I searched the 1990 US Census
>list of  80,000 surnames available on the web in order to find names
>in which  like consonants were separated by one vowel and came across
>a few more  from various language groups that may or may not be
>examples of  this. (It's hard to know when you can't have the names
>pronounced for you as well as see them written.) My question, then,
>is this:

> I would be interested in knowing in what other languages this
>phenomenon occurs and with what other sounds. Judging from some of
>the names I encountered in my search, I suspect that it may occur in
>Japanese where [i] and [u] deletion causes two like consonants to be
>connected together. Also, in languages where word-internal gemination
>is phonemic, I'm curious as to whether simplification occurs as it
>does in English or if the gemination retains its full phonological
>value. Please include as many examples as you can with your comments
>and I will post a complete summary to the list. Any other
>observations about this phenomenon are also welcome.

Beginning of Responses:
1- Subject: Worcester
Here is a Hungarian example:

_ko2zta1rsasa1g_ /ko/starSASa:g/ fast/casual [ko/staSSa:g] `republic'
and another lexicalized one: _azt hiszem_ /Ast hisEm/ > [AsisEm] >
[assEm] `that-ACC believe-I' I cannot think of examples with
non-coronals, but that - I think _ has to do with statistics.

Symbols: o/ = IPA slashed o (round front mid vowel),
S = Eng sh
A = round back low vowel
E = IPA epsilon

Best,
Peter Szigetvari
szigetva at osiris.elte.hu
******************************
2- From: russell at ukraine.corp.mot.com (Dale Russell)
To: dharris at las-inc.com
Subject: Phonological process--Worcester/Gloucester/Leicester

 > Also, in languages where word-internal gemination is phonemic, I'm
 > curious as to whether simplification occurs as it does in English
 > or if the gemination retains its full phonological value.

Does such simplification always occur in English?  Does "meanness"
rhyme exactly with "Venus"?  I've heard this example used to argue
that English does make at least limited use of the concept of the
mora, claiming that both /n/s in "meanness" get pronounced.

   Dale Russell
   russell at ukraine.corp.mot.com
*************************************
3- Subject: Deleted vowel

often delete the schwa between the /d/'s, so that "Where did he go"
becomes "Where'd he go", and "How did she do that" becomes "How'd she
do that".
Dan Loehr                           "Wherever you go, there you are."
Georgetown University
loehrd at gusun.acc.georgetown.edu                     - Buckaroo Bonzai
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/4944
-