8.1104, Misc: Correction to 8.1082 English Adj

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jul 29 22:07:48 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1104. Tue Jul 29 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1104, Misc: Correction to 8.1082 English Adj

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Assistant Editor:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 28 Jul 1997 10:01:36 +0300 (EET DST)
From:  Roderick McConchie <mcconchi at cc.helsinki.fi>
Subject:  Re: 8.1082, Sum: English adjectives

Date:  Mon, 28 Jul 1997 10:01:36 +0300 (EET DST)
From:  Roderick McConchie <mcconchi at cc.helsinki.fi>

Editor's Note: We received the following correction to 8.1082, English
Adjectives.

> Dear Linguists,
>
>      About a week ago I posted the following query.
>
> >I am working on English adjectives. Are the following sentences
> >acceptable? If acceptable, please mark them with a check.
> >If not acceptable, please mark them with a cross. If uncertain
> >or dubious, please mark them with a question mark. Any
> >comment is welcome.
> >
> >(1)  John was careful to lock the door.
+> >(2)  John was greedy to keep all the money to himself.
+> >(3)  John was worthy to be praised by them all.
> >(4)  The place is convenient to visit.
> >(5)  John is jealous that she succeeded.
> >(6)  John was bored to hear her endless talk.
>+ >(7)  John was confused to be told to do so many things at once.
?> >(8)  John was hurt to be insulted.
> >(9)  I am eager that they should win.
> >(10) John was incredulous that Mary put it into practice.
> >(11) Mary is keen that we should go.
> >(12) It was heroic of them to oppose the invader
+> >(13) John was irresponsible to sabotage his duties.
> >(14) It is significant that they worked as volunteers.
> >(15) It is sufficient to give him some money.
+ >(16) It is not suitable to dress casual at a wedding reception.

Sorry, some problems with signs! + means not acceptable, nothing means
acceptable.  Best, Rod.