8.1107, Qs: Lang. Games, "Democratic," Word Change

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jul 30 04:03:08 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1107. Tue Jul 29 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1107, Qs: Lang. Games, "Democratic," Word Change

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Assistant Editor:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 24 Jul 1997 12:14:19 +0100
From:  "Dr James M Scobbie" <j.scobbie at sls.qmced.ac.uk>
Subject:  Language Games, re http://linguistlist.org/issues/8/8-1079.html

2)
Date:  Tue, 29 Jul 1997 14:57:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:  ira ungar <ungar at umich.edu>
Subject:  From "Democratic" to "Democrat" (fwd)

3)
Date:  Tue, 29 Jul 1997 17:30:27 -0500
From:  Jonathan Gilbert <JonG at dragonsys.com>
Subject:   Question on a word

Date:  Thu, 24 Jul 1997 12:14:19 +0100
From:  "Dr James M Scobbie" <j.scobbie at sls.qmced.ac.uk>

I'm interested that language games, which show an innate
metaphonological awareness, are often syllabic/moraic, and seldom
segmental or phonemic. Evidence seems to show that children's
awareness of syllabic structures appears earlier than any clear
metaphonemic awareness.

For an anecdotal example, younger toddlers who are told that 't' is
for 'table' and 'r' is for 'rain', and who are then asked "what is for
'tray'?", tend to say 'tr'.

Is there any evidence that necessarily phonemic games (eg those that
split a tautosyllabic consonant cluster) are connected with literate
societies (presumably using segmental writing systems)?