8.1108, Disc: French

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jul 30 06:07:27 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1108. Wed Jul 30 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1108, Disc: French

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Assistant Editor:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 27 Jul 1997 19:53:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:  CANAC MARQUIS REJEAN <c2554 at er.uqam.ca>
Subject:  Re: 8.1098, Qs: French, Chinese poetry, Bannock

Date:  Sun, 27 Jul 1997 19:53:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:  CANAC MARQUIS REJEAN <c2554 at er.uqam.ca>

> -------------------------------- Message 1 -------------------------------
>
> Date:  Sat, 26 Jul 1997 20:23:41 -0400
> From:  ewb2 at cornell.edu (E. Wayles Browne)
> Subject:  Question for French speakers
>
> In English one can distinguish two different placements of an adverb
> with two different readings:
>
> (1) The conflict is not clearly an international problem.  "Perhaps
> the conflict is an international problem, perhaps it is not an
> international problem; whether it is an international problem or not
> is not clear."
>
> (2) The conflict is clearly not an international problem.  "The
> conflict is not an international problem. That is clear."
>
> In French, does
>
> (3) Le conflit n'est clairement pas un probl=E8me international.  have
> the meaning of (1) or (2) or both? Are there other possible placements
> of _clairement_ which would have a meaning differing from that of (3)?

Rejean Canac Marquis, UQAM (linguistics) & Simon Fraser University (French
dept)

Clearly, sentence (3) has the meaning (2), not (1).If CLAIREMENT is after
PAS, then meaning (1) takes over. This is of course without special
stress or break. Hope this is hopeful. Best,RCM.