8.836, Disc: Punctuation

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Jun 7 20:52:04 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-836. Sat Jun 7 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.836, Disc: Punctuation

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 29 May 1997 08:13:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:  alan harris <vcspc005 at email.csun.edu>
Subject:  Re: 8.774, Disc: Punctuation

Date:  Thu, 29 May 1997 08:13:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:  alan harris <vcspc005 at email.csun.edu>

In the San Fernando Valley, on Chatsworth Blvd at Balboa, is a sign
with "Salad's Galore."  I have often mused about what a 'galore' might
be and why 'salad' owned it!

The error of inserting the apostrophe for a plural (nonpossessive) is
seemingly endemic amongst college students in Southern California,
too.  Even though I give them fact sheets warning against such a
usage, I get the error quite regularly on term papers--especially with
"longer" or less frequently used plurals, i.e., "boys" or "names"
comes out all right but "linguist's" (PL.) or "dyslexic's" do not fare
so well. I would submit that it is not only endemic but epidemic!
However, it is a part and parcel of orthographic change in this part
of the twentieth century and probably rates right up there with
"alright, "alot," and "nitelite."  cheers, ach

       Alan C. Harris, Ph. D.          TELNOS: main off:  818-677-2853
       Professor, Communication/Linguistics  direct off:  818-677-2874
       Speech Communication Department
       California State University, Northridge     home:  818-366-3165
       SPCH CSUN                                    FAX:  818-677-2663
       Northridge, CA 91330-8257 INTERNET  email: ALAN.HARRIS at CSUN.EDU
                 WWW homepage: http://www.csun.edu/~vcspc005