8.839, Disc: Grammar in UK Schools

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Jun 8 03:03:34 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-839. Sat Jun 7 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.839, Disc: Grammar in UK Schools

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 3 Jun 1997 11:08:31 +0100 (BST)
From:  Richard Ingham <llsingam at reading.ac.uk>
Subject:  Re: 8.817, Disc: Grammar in UK Schools

2)
Date:  Tue, 3 Jun 1997 09:47:49 -0500
From:  ejaz8d1 at cat.com (E.J. Adolphson (Eric))

Date:  Tue, 3 Jun 1997 11:08:31 +0100 (BST)
From:  Richard Ingham <llsingam at reading.ac.uk>

Marc Hamann has - perhaps unintentionally - identified an important
issue in his reference to:

"...the inflexible, rote and prescriptive approach to grammar which is
conventionally inflicted on students throughout the English speaking
world."

I think it's important to start with a recognition of how things are
in the UK. This particular corner of the English speaking world may be
somewhat different from what he imagines.

Teaching of English in the UK has in recent years been shaped by
objectives such as the GCSE National Criteria of 1985, which stated no
fewer than seven objectives relating to the communication of
information, meaning, experience, attitude etc. There was just one
taking in 'appropriate grammatical structures, conventions of
paragraphing, sentence structure, punctuation, and spelling'. The
balance of these objectives makes it clear where priorities have been
deemed to lie, and teachers have no doubt followed the signals given.

My personal estimate is that the debate on a so-called 'return to
standards' takes place against this background, rather than against
the more traditional one probably envisaged by Marc Hamann.

These comments should not be construed as representing the point of
view of this department or of other departments at this university.

Richard Ingham
Department of Linguistic Science
The University of Reading