8.860, Disc: Grammar in UK Schools

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jun 10 14:00:00 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-860. Tue Jun 10 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.860, Disc: Grammar in UK Schools

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: T. Daniel Seely <seely at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 05 Jun 1997 14:28:59 -0500 (EST)
From:  Larry Rosenwald <LROSENWALD at WELLESLEY.EDU>
Subject:  Re: 8.817, Disc: Grammar in UK Schools

2)
Date:  Sun, 08 Jun 1997 19:41:33 -0500 (EST)
From:  00hfstahlke at bsuvc.bsu.edu
Subject:  Re: 8.839, Disc: Grammar in UK Schools

Date:  Thu, 05 Jun 1997 14:28:59 -0500 (EST)
From:  Larry Rosenwald <LROSENWALD at WELLESLEY.EDU>

	I've read all the postings on this with interest.  I don't
know how many of the posters are teaching courses in expository
writing.  I am, fairly often; and my experience in teaching them leads
me to support Geoffrey Sampson's position, at least insofar as I
understand it.  That is - if I'm working with an individual student,
it's useful if she (I teach at a women's college) and I have some
technical terms in common - not very fancy ones, just things like
"subject" and "dangling participle."  Whether these belong to usage or
grammar doesn't concern me.  It's just harder to explain what she's
doing to a student writing sentence fragments if she doesn't know -
I'm trying to be precise here - the usual, albeit imprecise meaning
often given terms like "subject," or "finite verb," or "participle.  "
I don't care whether she thinks that complete sentences are a
convention of "standard English" or the eleventh Mosaic commandment -
the whole prescriptivist/ descriptivist dichotomy doesn't really
concern me in regard to this issue.  What I do care about is having a
reasonably precise vocabulary for analysis.  If people have taught
writing using a different such vocabulary, I'd be genuinely eager to
hear about it.

	Best, Larry Rosenwald, Department of English, Wellesley College