8.912, All: New LINGUIST Service: the Notice Board

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Jun 20 06:34:33 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-912. Fri Jun 20 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.912, All: New LINGUIST Service: the Notice Board

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Helen Dry <hdry at emunix.emich.edu>

Date:  Fri, 20 Jun 1997 02:16:36 -0400
From:  linguist at linguistlist.org
Subject:  New Service for LINGUIST Subscribers

Date:  Fri, 20 Jun 1997 02:16:36 -0400
From:  linguist at linguistlist.org

Dear Subscribers:

The LINGUIST List has just instituted a new service, which we're
calling "The Notice Board."  The Notice Board can be found at:

	http://linguistlist.org/~notice/

It is intended to help linguists make professional contacts and find
practical information--the kind of information that facilitates our
professional activities but is not directly related to linguistic
research. For example, you might post a notice on the Notice Board if:

     - you're spending your sabbatical in another city and want to find
	a house to rent

     - you need crash space or a roommate for a linguistics conference.

     - you want information about living conditions in a region where
	you'll be doing fieldwork.

This is the kind of information-gathering that used to be one of the
great advantages of email distribution lists.  And, having benefited
from it ourselves in the past, we have often regretted that the size
of LINGUIST's subscriber list (now over 9000) makes it impossible to
post such inquiries in LINGUIST issues.  We hope that this "LINGUIST
Notice Board" on the World Wide Web will partly take the place of such
postings.

We will, of course, continue to post queries having to do with
linguistic research and announcements of general interest (jobs,
fellowships, conferences, etc.) on LINGUIST.  So you should continue
to send these to the list.  The Notice Board is designed for more
personal requests and announcements (but not "Lonely linguist seeks
attractive, adventurous informant..." The Notice Board won't be
quite that personal....)

Please let us know if you have suggestions for its improvement.

Helen, Anthony, Daniel
LINGUIST Moderators

REMINDERS:

1) LINGUIST Dissertation Abstracts are now searchable. If you haven't
yet entered your dissetation abstract, please do so at:

	http://linguistlist.org/dissop.html

(If you don't have web access, send us an email message and we will
be happy to enter your information for you.)

2) LINGUIST is in the process of creating a searchable directory of
linguists.  If you haven't done so, please enter informaion about
yourself at:

	http://linguistlist.org/persop.html

Thanks!