8.932, Qs: Spanish in US, Bantu, "pigtails"

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Jun 27 03:40:14 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-932. Thu Jun 26 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.932, Qs: Spanish in US, Bantu, "pigtails"

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 10 Jun 1997 12:07:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:  mcastro at umiami.ir.miami.edu
Subject:  Re: The Future of Spanish in the USA

2)
Date:  Tue, 17 Jun 1997 15:41:30 EST5EDT
From:  "Debra Spitulnik" <antds at social-sci.ss.emory.edu>
Subject:  Bantu language names

3)
Date:  Sat, 14 Jun 1997 23:20:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:  JPKIRCHNER at aol.com
Subject:  Q: "pigtails"

Date:  Tue, 10 Jun 1997 12:07:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:  mcastro at umiami.ir.miami.edu

I want to thank Jim Crawford and the numerous people that responded to
my original query (see below). I also want to solicit the thoughts of
those who might not have had the time to write back.

There seems to be a consensus among the many people that sent me
eloquent responses that Spanish will not follow the traditional route,
yet some of the key research in the area, such as Veltman's, seems to
point squarely in the opposite direction. Any thoughts about the
apparent contradiction?  Also, is Veltman is still around and active
in the field, and where? I haven't seen any papers by him dated more
recently than 1990. I realize his data is from 1976.  Anything more
recent that contradicts or nuances his findings?

Sincerely,

Max J. Castro
North-South Center