8.956, Sum: Anglicization of names

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jun 30 03:41:45 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-956. Sun Jun 29 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.956, Sum: Anglicization of names

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 25 Jun 1997 16:38:05 -0500 (EST)
From:  Larry Rosenwald <LROSENWALD at WELLESLEY.EDU>
Subject:  summary on anglicization of names

Date:  Wed, 25 Jun 1997 16:38:05 -0500 (EST)
From:  Larry Rosenwald <LROSENWALD at WELLESLEY.EDU>

	Hi - I posted a query a while ago about how non-English names
get anglicized.  What I got in response was quite interesting, though
most of it was anecdotal, as the responders themselves noted.  Most of
the research cited was not in sociolinguistics but in speech
technology.
  I still think this would be an interesting topic to work on.  In any
case, I'm including the responses I got, with thanks to all and
apologies for the typographical irregularities -
	best, Larry Rosenwald, Wellesley College

	1)
>>From Margaret Luebs <maluebs at umich.edu>

I saw your message on the Linguist List and wanted to share a story
with you (probably not scholarly enough for your summary, though). My
last name is German and is spelled "luebs". People always assume it is
pronounced "lubes" which is pretty close to the expected German
pronunciation (though that may not have been how my great-grandparents
said it; see below).  Instead, irritatingly enough, we say "lebbs".

The story I've been told (which may be partly apocryphal) is that when
my grandfather (the first of 12 siblings to make it off the farm that
their parents settled on in the 1880's) arrived at the University of
Nebraska in 1910, he went to a professor in the German department and
asked "what is the American pronunciation of my name?" (because up
till then his family had just pronounced it the old way -- they spoke
German at home and lived among lots of other Germans). The professor,
for some reason, said "lebbs" so that's what we got stuck with. Then a
few years later another brother made it to the university, and *he*
went to a *different* professor in the German department and asked the
same question. The answer he got was "leebs" so that's how his
descendants pronounce the name. Other cousins seem to have just used
their own common sense, because there are some out there who pronounce
it "lubes". However we have an old letter from Germany addressed to my
great-grandfather, and it refers to him as "H. Libs", (a misspelling
perhaps inspired by the actual pronunciation) so the original
pronunciation may have been closer to "leebs". It still doesn't
explain "lebbs", but oh well.

I know this isn't what you asked for -- it's not phonetic factors or
even normal sociolinguistic ones, but rather the dreaded influence of
university professors!

	2)
>>From lexo at lsi.sel.sony.com (Lex Olorenshaw)

Hi,

The anglicization topic interests me, too, but more from a speech
technology point of view.  For example, what ways can we anticipate
the anglicized pronunciation of names in order to produce better
synthesized speech, or to automatically recognize speech better?

Some research has been done in this area for Text-to-Speech
synthesizers.  But I haven't looked into it too much.  There are a
couple of references to "Name Pronunciation" on this web site that
might serve as a starting point -

http://www.bellcore.com/ORATOR/oref.html

Since I've been wondering about this, I also did a quick search for
"name pronunciation" in Linguistics Abstract Online (currently on a
free trial basis!), and came up with the following items -

- ---------  Title: Variant grapheme-phoneme correspondences in
unfamiliar polysyllabic words