8.316, Disc: Communication between blind and sighted

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 4 04:59:14 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-316. Mon Mar 3 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.316, Disc: Communication between blind and sighted

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 28 Feb 1997 18:05:16 -0200 (GMT+2)
From:  Koutsomitopoulou Elenh <elena at eexi.gr>
Subject:  Re: 8.290, Disc: Communication between blind and sighted

2)
Date:  Sat, 1 Mar 1997 12:47:48 +0200 (EET)
From:  Deborah D K Ruuskanen <druuskan at cc.helsinki.fi>

Date:  Fri, 28 Feb 1997 18:05:16 -0200 (GMT+2)
From:  Koutsomitopoulou Elenh <elena at eexi.gr>

Dear Colleagues,

Following the discussion on the blind-sighted communication i
surprisingly find quite 'sighted' persons to be proved (at least
partially) blind (or deaf).  Only this way one could explain the
negative pre-occupations underlying some opinions about the blind
colleagues (thus about any colleague in handicap).  Communication is a
matter of intention to "make contact" and intention for such a contact
doesn't seem to appear when people bear some negative thoughts about
others. In the same line, the blind and the sighted can communicate no
problem when they really intent to. The practical difficulties are
always there for sure but one can overpass them once one finds the
appropriate welcome environment. The same with everyday communication
among sighted persons; could one ever communicate effectively when the
potential receiver is negative?  Of course extra will power is needed
when one wants to communicate with a blind (or deaf) due to the
obvious impediments. But the point I'd like to make is that we
shouldn't stress so much on the topic as if we do regard it as
"special". Using labels for speakers ("sighted", "blind") we at least
contribute to the underlying discriminative way of thinking of this
topic (like the "women", "men" labels).  It is one thing to want to
reveal the social stereotypes (hence to mention the "labels") and
another to want to discuss a special case. I think we should include
the "blind-sighted communication" in the broader frame of
communication topic. Unless we want to examine the "practical" matters
taking place here (as Kela wanted, i suppose) or we want to critically
touch the "dirty" point of the social discrimination of people with
disabilities or we DO believe that people should be categorised into
"sighted" and "blind", "hearing" and "bad-of-hearing", and so on...

eleni koutsomitopoulou