8.317, Disc: Ebonics

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 4 05:10:48 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-317. Tue Mar 4 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.317, Disc: Ebonics

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Date:           Wed, 19 Feb 1997 17:11:23 PDT
From:  <SANDRA at ed.pdx.edu>
Subject:        Chomsky on Ebonics?

2)
Date:  Thu, 27 Feb 1997 18:47:49 -0800 (PST)
From:  bwald at HUMnet.UCLA.EDU (benji wald)
Subject:  Re: 8.285, Disc: Ebonics

3)
Date:  Tue, 11 Feb 1997 11:32:35 -0500
From:  "Shelley" <shelley at tiac.net>
Subject:  Ebonics

Date:           Wed, 19 Feb 1997 17:11:23 PDT
From:  <SANDRA at ed.pdx.edu>

>>From an article on Ebonics by Christopher Hitchens in the current
(March) Vanity Fair:

Noam Chomsky, the founder of modern linguistics, said that while
there's no difference in principle between "I be" and "Je suis,"
and while pre-modern and pre-technological languages can be
extremely dynamic and complex, the chances of evolving one in a
ghetto were distinctly slim. "If it's taught, it has to be like
the way that Standard English is taught to unintelligible white
kids in eastern Tennessee - as a means of making them fluent."

Comments?

Sandra Wilde
Portland State University (Oregon)
sandra at ed.pdx.edu