8.358, FYI: Applied Lx, Corpus, Pronunciation

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Mar 13 15:41:56 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-358. Thu Mar 13 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.358, FYI: Applied Lx, Corpus, Pronunciation

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: T. Daniel Seely <seely at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 7 Mar 1997 11:39:03 +1000 (EST)
From:  peterw at lingua.cltr.uq.oz.au (Peter White)
Subject:  Applied Ling Assoc of Australia

2)
Date:  Mon, 10 Mar 1997 12:06:33 -0800 (PST)
From:  aac at csli.Stanford.EDU (Ann Copestake)
Subject:  British National Corpus access outside the EU

3)
Date:  Mon, 10 Mar 1997 02:07:07 +0000
From:  me at interlink.com.ar (Martin Eayrs)
Subject:  "The teaching of Pronunciation"

Date:  Fri, 7 Mar 1997 11:39:03 +1000 (EST)
From:  peterw at lingua.cltr.uq.oz.au (Peter White)

The Web page for the forthcoming ALAA '97 Congress is now available at
http://www.cltr.uq.oz.au:8000/alaa/alaa97con.htm

Thanks
Peter White

Date:  Mon, 10 Mar 1997 12:06:33 -0800 (PST)
From:  aac at csli.Stanford.EDU (Ann Copestake)

The following message from Claire Warwick is a request for input to
support making the British National Corpus (BNC) available to
researchers outside the European Union.  It was posted to a corpora
mailing list - I am reposting it here (with Claire's permission),
because I suspect there will be readers of Linguist who would like to use
the BNC but are not currently able to do so.  Please note, the
meeting referred to is to be held on March 19th, and Claire would like
to circulate papers beforehand, so email messages to her should be sent
soon (short messages are fine).  Please email her directly, at the
address below.

(For those who don't know about the BNC: it's a 100 million
word collection of samples of written and spoken language from a wide
range of sources, designed to represent a wide cross-section of current
British English, both spoken and written.  It has been annotated with
part of speech tags.  It is currently freely available within the EU
for research purposes.  For details see http://info.ox.ac.uk/bnc/)

Ann Copestake

Dear Colleagues,

You may be aware that at the moment we are not authorised to make copies of the
British National Corpus for use outside the EU. This is because the BNC is the
product of a consortium involving both industrial and academic partners and we
can only act where consensus has been reached by all partners. Consensus has
not yet been reached on the matter of extending access of the corpus beyond the
EU.

However, we are having a meeting to discuss this issue in mid March (the exact
date is still to be decided), and we (at Oxford University) are trying to
gather together as many pieces of evidence to suggest that there is a wider
need for the BNC as we can. If you think that access to the BNC should be
widened, we would be very grateful if you could write to us and outline the
reasons why you believe this is important.

We hope that by presenting a collection of such emails or letters we may be
able to persuade the commercial members of the consortium to widen access to
the Corpus. The more reasonable argument we can muster, the stronger we can
make our case.

Best wishes,

Claire

 Dr Claire Warwick                                      phone 01865 273280
 Resource Development Officer                           Fax   01865 273275
 British National Corpus
 Oxford University Computing Services     email BNC: natcorp at oucs.ox.ac.uk
 13 Banbury Road                              claire.warwick at oucs.ox.ac.uk
 Oxford OX2 6NN                                   http://info.ox.ac.uk/bnc