8.367, Sum: Spoken language corpora

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Mar 16 21:05:20 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-367. Sun Mar 16 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.367, Sum: Spoken language corpora

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Susan Robinson <sue at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 12 Mar 1997 13:03:00 -0600
From:  yystud at ibmstone.pku.edu.cn
Subject:  Sum: spoken language corpora

Date:  Wed, 12 Mar 1997 13:03:00 -0600
From:  yystud at ibmstone.pku.edu.cn

Hi, everyone,

Days ago I posted a query seeking information concerning the
availability of spoken language corpora, as a result of which I've
received an impressive number of responses, all being very helpful. My
heartfelt thanks to all who've responded, as are listed below (in no
particular order; and in case someone who has responded to my query
but whose name was left out here, do please kindly re-send your email
-- there's been some problem with my email for a few days and I've
been away for about two weeks. My aplogies for that):

cball at guvax.acc.georgetown.edu (Catherine N. Ball)
Hilde Hasselgard <hilde.hasselgard at iba.uio.no>suggests the following
websites from which the corpora can be ordered. There is also a Tact
version of the Colt corpus (London teenage speech) available on the
internet; you'll find it by searching for "Colt corpus".

ICAME CORPUS COLLECTION
    ICAME CORPUS COLLECTION - ORDER FORM. LANCASTER PARSED CORPUS. (To
    be signed by a responsible official of the institution making the order.)
    To obtain...
    http://nora.hd.uib.no/lancpars.html - size 4K - 16 Nov 95

CAME CORPUS COLLECTION
    ICAME CORPUS COLLECTION - ORDER FORM. LONDON-LUND CORPUS. (To be signed
    by a responsible official of the institution making the order.)
    To obtain this...
    http://nora.hd.uib.no/londlund.html - size 3K - 16 Nov 95

ICAME Collection
    ICAME Collection of English Language Corpora (CD-ROM) Coordinators:
    Knut Hofland, Norwegian Computing Centre for the Humanities, Bergen.
    Stig Johansson,...
    http://nora.hd.uib.no/cd-info.html - size 12K - 7 Aug 96

++++++++++++++++++
geoffs at cogs.susx.ac.uk (Geoffrey Sampson)
London-Lund Corpus, and many other English-language resources, are all
included on a CD-ROM distributed by ICAME (the International Computer
Archive of Modern English) The URL for ICAME is:

	http://www.hd.uib.no/corpora.html

++++++++++++++++++++++
edwards at cogsci.Berkeley.EDU (Jane A. Edwards)
Both the London-Lund and Lancaster Spoken English Corpus are available
through ICAME (International Computer ARchive of Modern English).
They have information files on it and the other English corpora in
their holdings available via anonymous ftp to: nora.hd.uib.no ICAME
also has Bengt Altenberg's extremely useful bibliographies of
published works based on or related to computerized English text
corpora (in directory pub/icame).  ICAME's website is
http://www.hd.uib.no

For surveys of corpora, there are two on ICAME:
the Lancaster survey and my own survey of corpora.  These are
available via anonymous ftp to nora.hd.uib.no in directory
pub/corpora.  ICAME also has Bengt Altenberg's very useful
bibliographies of published works based on or related to computerized
English text corpora (in directory pub/icame).  ICAME's website is
http://www.hd.uib.no

The 2 websites with the most comprehensive and most recent coverage
of corpora are:
- ACL (Ken Litkowski): http://www.clres.com/siglex.html
- Michael Barlow: http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~barlow/corpus.html

Other websites for corpora and corpus resources are:
- Stuttgart, IMS, computational linguistics:
     http://www.ims.uni-stuttgart.de/IMS.html
- Lund, Dept. of Linguistics and Phonetics: http://www.ling.lu.se
- CLR: http://clr.nmsu.edu/clr/CLR.html
- Oxford Text Archive:  http://ota.ox.ac.uk/TEI/ota.html
- ELSNET: http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/elsnet/eci_summary.html
- Mannheim, IdS:  http://www.ids-mannheim.de/telri/telri.html
- CETH (Humanities):  http://www.ceth.rutgers.edu
- Corpus survey by the British National Corpus group:
  http://info.ox.ac.uk/bnc/corpora.html
- Linguistic Data Consortium (LDC): http://www.ldc.upenn.edu
- ELRA (European Language Resources Association):
  English version: http://www.icp.grenet.fr/ELRA/home.html,
  French version : http://www.icp.grenet.fr/ELRA/fr/home.html,

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
ses at lingua1.phil.uni-jena.de(Elke) suggests
the British National Corpus, which is available from Oxford University
Computing Services. and The London-Lund-Corpus and the Lancaster / IBM
Spoken English Corpus, as far as I know, are stored in Bergen, Norway,
at the International Computing Archive of Modern English in the
Norwegian Computing Centre.
Here's an e-mail address for them: icame at hd.uib.no
or a WWW-server: http://www.hd.uib.no
or questions could be directed to knut.hofland at hd.uib.no