8.388, Disc: Language and public behavior

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Mar 19 00:42:15 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-388. Tue Mar 18 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.388, Disc: Language and public behavior

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 11 Mar 1997 17:39:33 -0200 (GMT+2)
From:  Koutsomitopoulou Elenh <elena at eexi.gr>
Subject:  Re: 8.348, Disc: Language and public behavior

2)
Date:  Fri, 14 Mar 1997 23:16:26 -0600 (CST)
From:  Krista Casada <kcasada at comp.uark.edu>
Subject:  smile back!

3)
Date:  Wed, 5 Mar 1997 20:38:48 -0600
From:  Condon Sherri L <slc6859 at usl.edu>
Subject:  Public behavior towards the handicapped

Date:  Tue, 11 Mar 1997 17:39:33 -0200 (GMT+2)
From:  Koutsomitopoulou Elenh <elena at eexi.gr>

On Tue, 11 Mar 1997 linguist at linguistlist.org wrote:

> Date:  Mon, 10 Mar 1997 17:38:39 -0500
> From:  Mark Mandel <Mark at dragonsys.com>
> Subject:   Language and public behavior
>
> In LINGUIST 8.341, Elena Koutsomitopoulou writes:
>

> 	[...]
> But to tell the whole story, being polite and not discriminating show in
> several other (essential) ways and not really into smiling or keeping any
> face of compassion. Besides, offering help is one of the very common
> ways to take control over someone. What could really be helpful is the
> expression of our real (positive or negative) feelings when confronted
> with a disability. Above all, not all people are able to handle it......
>
> <<<<
>
> This makes sense to me, except for the second sentence. Is she
> recommending NOT offering to help someone -- e.g., offering to hold a
> door for a person in a wheelchair or on crutches -- because they might
> feel you were trying to take control over them?
>
>        Mark A. Mandel : Senior Linguist : mark at dragonsys.com
>     Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
>  320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02160, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com/
>            Personal home page: http://world.std.com/~mam/

I suppose I have to clarify what I mean when speaking about 'control
strategies'. Generally speaking, one may feel 'superior' and 'having
control' when offering help (or simply because one may just BE in the
position to offer help). It's like what Tannen refers in her very
famous (yet a bit old) sociolinguistic book about man and women
interaction (I'll have to check out for a precise reference). It's not
to blame people who help, but to be aware that as an action offering
help may not be so innocent as it shows.

So, my position is clear; of course we should offer help to anyone in
need. But the important thing to remember here is to be aware and
conscious of our real motivations when helping. Also to try to find
other (different yet additional) ways to help except for occasionally
opening doors and the like. F. i. some essential public influence (in
our class etc) would help no doubt. People have to start being aware
and sensitive of topics like treatment of the disabled and unconscious
control strategies. Being honest with ourselves would be the first
step.

Thank you for your comments.

Elena

University of Athens