8.666, Sum: Hmong

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue May 6 23:02:51 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-666. Tue May 6 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.666, Sum: Hmong

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Susan Robinson <sue at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 06 May 1997 13:27:57 -0600
From:  burt at vaxa.cis.uwosh.edu (Susan Meredith Burt)
Subject:  Summary:Hmong

Date:  Tue, 06 May 1997 13:27:57 -0600
From:  burt at vaxa.cis.uwosh.edu (Susan Meredith Burt)

Hello, Fellow LINGUIST Listers!

A little more than two (or three?) weeks ago, I sent out a two-part
query: 1) asking whether the sounds represented in the Hmong (Roman)
orthography as Hm and Hn were voiceless nasals, and 2) asking for
references on Hmong in general.

First, my thanks to all who replied:

Marc Picard     picard at vax2.concordia.ca
Judith Fuller   jwfuller at gac.edu
Peter Daniels   pdaniels at press-gopher.uchicago.edu
Jakob Dempsy    jakob at inside.com.tw
Andreas Schramm aschramm at me.umn.edu
Kathy Sands     sands at humanitas.ucsb.edu
June Wickboldt  jwickbol at indiana.edu
Phong Jakob Yang  pjy01 at csufresno.edu
Christina Eira  c.eira at linguistics.unimelb.edu.au

1) It would seem that there is disagreement among those who work on
Hmong as to the exact phonetics of the segments in question--in
addition to dialect variation as well.  Judith Fuller, Peter Daniels,
Jakob Dempsey and Kathy Sands hear these segments as voiceless.  On
the other hand, Phong Yang and Christina Eira analyze these as
preaspirated nasals.  Christina also points out that there is
disagreement in the existing literature.

2) This brings us to the second part of my query: What is the existing
literature on Hmong? I will try to paste in the relevant parts of