8.672, Disc: OT (Optimality Theory)

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed May 7 17:24:54 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-672. Wed May 7 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.672, Disc: OT (Optimality Theory)

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>

Date:           Wed, 7 May 1997 12:04:44 +0100
From:  "D.B. den Ouden" <DENOUDEN at let.rug.nl>
Subject:        disc. on OT

2)
Date:  Wed, 7 May 1997 14:50:31 +0100
From:  Mark Donohue <mark.donohue at man.ac.uk>
Subject:  Disc: OT

Date:           Wed, 7 May 1997 12:04:44 +0100
From:  "D.B. den Ouden" <DENOUDEN at let.rug.nl>

Although  I have unfortunately lost the  original questions posed by
Chris  Hogan on the falsifiability of OT,  I believe the response of
Joaquim Brandao de Carvalho (LINGUIST 8-670)  presents an image
of OT that does not necessarily have to be correct (how's that for
prudence?). Note that these remarks contain a very rough sketch of
some ideas on language and that I am more than open to
positive criticism and adaptation of these ideas.

Carvalho writes:

> Even if OT specified which constraints are permitted in the theory,
>the entire theory would probably not be affected whenever constraints
>might be shown to be 'falsified'. The reason is that constraint
>falsification could always be viewed by OT supporters as constraint
>violation.<

I believe this is precisely what does NOT apply if OT specifies
what type of constraints are permitted in the theory. This is done by
many OT'ers (cf. the discussion on phonetics and OT on the Optimality
List last February). This has to do with the second point Carvalho
makes:

> The important point, from which it can be shown that OT is
>NOT a linguistic theory nor a theory tout court, is that constraints
>are formally arbitrary and thereby circular. Let us take constraints
>like 'syllables must have onsets' or 'syllables must not have codas'.
>These constraints are arbitrary insofar as nothing but empirical
>observation tells us why onsets should be obligatory, while codas
>should not.

This is simply not true. There are a number of, for example,
functional explanations for the fact that VC syllables are more
marked than V syllables, which in turn are more marked than CV
syllables. The sounds are better perceived and/or articulation is
easier (rule number 1: Do as little as possible!). Functional
considerations such as those posed by, for example, Flemming (1995):

I   More contrast is good
II  Bigger contrast is good (there should be some minimal distance
between two characteristics)
III Easy articulation is good

can well by applied to make this point.

Once it is acknowledged that OT constraints should NOT be allowed to
be randomly stated, but should find their origin in `functional'
or even `cognitive' or `biological' factors, it serves as a highly
useful description of how different and often competing factors
influence the way we use language, the way language develops, and
the possible ways in which natural human languages can be variable.
In this view, language is a result of certain possible cognitive
structures/processes, the wish to communicate as much and as nuanced
as possible, and the natural characteristic to make this cost as
little energy as possible. It is even quite possible to imagine how
the latter two have influenced, or even formed the first, during the
many years of the development of our cognitive and genetic
characteristics (and vice versa?), but it is not essential to the
framework. I wish to emphasize (for obvious reasons) that this is not
a behaviorist point of view. Constraints CAN thus be falsified if
they are not rooted in factors such as those described above. I do
believe this may serve as an argument against Carvalho's statement
that OT is necessarily circular in its approach to, for instance,
syllable structure. On the other hand, it has to be acknowledged that
many OT'ers still do not apply these considerations in the
definitions of constraints and that in these cases Carvalho's point
is totally valid.

Dirk den Ouden

Dirk-Bart den Ouden
Department of Dutch