8.690, Disc: Functionalism

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri May 9 01:07:17 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-690. Thu May 8 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.690, Disc: Functionalism

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>

Date:          Thu, 08 May 97 16:50:05 EDT
From:  Deborah Schmidt <DSCHMIDT at uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject:       more on OT functionalism

2)
Date:  Thu, 8 May 1997 17:59:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:  CHARLES REISS  <reiss at alcor.concordia.ca>
Subject:  Re: Question on functionalism

3)
Date:  Thu, 08 May 1997 19:30:33 -0400
From:  Mark Hale <hale1 at alcor.concordia.ca>
Subject:  otiosity

Date:          Thu, 08 May 97 16:50:05 EDT
From:  Deborah Schmidt <DSCHMIDT at uga.cc.uga.edu>

Robert Kirchner (LINGUIST 8-689) writes, in reply to Charles Reiss,
that a theory of phonology that doesn't try to capture perceptual and
articulatory markedness is fundamentally uninteresting.  In other
words, I suppose, while substantive universals are interesting, formal
universals aren't very.  I do not share this view.  I find the search
for formal universals to be very interesting, and the search for
substantive universals to be *phonetics*.

I see no reason to disparage a phonological theory that does not concern
itself with capturing phonetic markedness.  Such a theory would indeed say
that phonetically bizarre alternations are *logically* possible.  However,
such a theory would not actually predict that real human languages will
exhibit an abundance of phonetically bizarre alternations, since real
human languages must be both decode-able and pronounce-able, in order to
be acquirable by children.  This is, I'm sure, what Reiss means when he
writes that it is otiose to offer a grammatical as well as a
perceptual/acquisition-based account of phonological phenomena.
Acquirability considerations, which boil down to decode-ability and
pronounce-ablility, exert selective pressure against a dialect's
developing anything but a phonetically manageable phonological system.
And this is thus how phonetic markedness observations can be accounted for.

Debbie Schmidt
University of Georgia