8.695, Disc: Functionalism

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun May 11 03:54:07 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-695. Sat May 10 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.695, Disc: Functionalism

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 9 May 1997 20:39:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:  CHARLES REISS <reiss at alcor.concordia.ca>
Subject:  Re: Question on functionalism

2)
Date:          Sat, 10 May 97 09:11:06 EDT
From:  Deborah Schmidt <DSCHMIDT at uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject:       OT functionalism

Date:  Fri, 9 May 1997 20:39:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:  CHARLES REISS <reiss at alcor.concordia.ca>

On Fri, 9 May 1997, Robert Kirchner wrote (LINGUIST 8.693):

> I'm assuming that the markedness of [pt] clusters does not lie in the fact
> that they're harder to articulate than [p at t], but that they're harder to
> perceive. [p at t] has the lip and tongue tip closure gestures of the [pt],
> and in addition, presumably a glottal adduction gesture, to get the vocal
> folds vibrating for some interval between the two glottal abductions of the
> [p] and [t]. Any gesture is more effortful than no gesture; since [p at t] is
> gesturally equivalent to [pt], plus containing the glottal adduction, we
> can plausibly conclude [p at t] is more effortful than [pt].

Doesn't this view run into to trouble for those who claim that CV
syllables are less marked that syllables lacking onsets? If so, then in
such a case, no gesture is *more* effortful than an onset consonant
gesture, apparently.

 Kirchner continues:
>   I agree with Mark Hale that
> perceptability factors play an important role in shaping sound patterns
> (contra Reiss's initial claim that functional notions explain nothing); but
> in OT these factors need not be viewed as external to the grammar.

I think this misrepresents my claims. One can obviously believe in the
role of perception in shaping the sound patterns of languages (as John
Ohala has discussed in numerous papers) without accepting the
functionalist arguments that acquirers *want* to simplify the grammar,
rather than acquire the one they are exposed to.

Furthermore, it seems to me that there is nothing inherently
'functionalist' about OT. OT itself is just a theory of constaint
interaction.

Charles Reiss
Department of Classics Modern Languages and Linguistics
Concordia University
1455 de Maisonneuve W.
Montreal,3G 1M8 H3G 1M
514 848-2310 (office)