8.726, Disc: Punctuation

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu May 15 04:49:21 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-726. Thu May 15 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.726, Disc: Punctuation

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Date:           Tue, 13 May 1997 10:10:23 SAST-2
From:  "Lass, RG, Roger, Prof" <ROGER at beattie.uct.ac.za>
Subject:        punctuation

Date:           Tue, 13 May 1997 10:10:23 SAST-2
From:  "Lass, RG, Roger, Prof" <ROGER at beattie.uct.ac.za>

I realise it's probably bad manners to add material after a summary,
but I was fascinated by the 'greengrocer's apostrophe'. In South
Africa this is extremely common, especially for items whose names end
in a vowel: avo's, radio's, mielie's (sweet corn), etc. This is
partly hypercorrect: if you don't know where to put apostrophes
(?apostrophe's), but you have a sneaky suspicion that they're a mark
of something good, use them wherever you can.

This also accounts for the almost universal it's for the possessive
pronoun (though here there's an analogy to the genitive of nouns: but
why not *hi's, *her's, which I've never seen).

In SA there's another special problem: since so many people are
bilingual in Afrikaans and English, there may also be a transfer from
the Afrikaans rule that loanwords ending in vowels get -'s plurals:
so avo's for avocado(')s would be perfectly OK in Afrikaans, but
seems suspect in English.

Somewhat related to this (does it occur in other countries) is what
might be called the greengrocers quotation marks: Sale: "potato's",
or even "Closing-down sale".

Just curiosa, maybe, but the data might be interesting to somebody.

Roger Lass

Roger Lass
Department of Linguistics
University of Cape Town
Rondebosch 7700/South Africa
Tel +(021) 650 3138  Fax +(021) 650 3726