8.728, Qs: German, Intercultural, Japanese

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu May 15 05:12:25 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-728. Thu May 15 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.728, Qs: German, Intercultural, Japanese

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 13 May 1997 16:51:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Yunsun Jung <yjung at husc.harvard.edu>
Subject:  'was-fur' split in German

2)
Date:  Wed, 14 May 1997 12:54:20 +0100
From:  meierkor at phil-fak.uni-duesseldorf.de (Christiane Meierkord)
Subject:  intercultural communication

3)
Date:  Wed, 14 May 1997 12:03:15 -0700
From:  Victoria A Fromkin <fromkin at ucla.edu>
Subject:  Japanese

Date:  Tue, 13 May 1997 16:51:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Yunsun Jung <yjung at husc.harvard.edu>

Dear linguists, I am looking for native German speakers who are kind
enough to answer the following questions.  I will appreciate any
response.  Regards, YS

In linguistic literature, they say that was-fur (what for) split in
German is fine when the predicate (verbs and adjectives and so on)
denotes temporary state.  So,

 (i) Was sind fur Tiere auf der StraBe?
      What kind of animals are in the street

 Was can be separate from fur in (i), whereas

 (ii) *Was sind fur Leguane intelligent?
      'What kind of iguanas are intelligent?'

this is not good because 'intelligent' is more or less permanant
property.

 They also say the following sentences are bad:

 (iii) a. *? Was sind fur Trombonisten heiter?
             what are for trombonists cheerful

     b. *? Was sind fur Hunde nervos?
         what are for dogs nervous

is is strange because 'cheerful' or 'nervous' is known as temporary
adjectives.

What I want to know is if the acceptability of (iii) gets better when
the predicate becomes more specific, like 'cheerful with the result of
the concert' or 'nervous about their training'.

I will appreciate if you let me know your opinion and give German
translation for the new sentences (with longer adjectives).

Thank you in advance.
 Regards,
 Yunsun