8.752, FYI: Changing Missions of a Learned Society

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon May 19 15:51:56 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-752. Mon May 19 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.752, FYI: Changing Missions of a Learned Society

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 14 Apr 1997 13:40:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:  alan harris <vcspc005 at email.csun.edu>
Subject:  Latest Occasional Paper of ACLS

Date:  Mon, 14 Apr 1997 13:40:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:  alan harris <vcspc005 at email.csun.edu>

right or wrong, I find this fascinating. . .
FYI ("for your information")// cheers, ach
]=============================================>>>>>>
       Alan C. Harris, Ph. D.          TELNOS: main off:  818-677-2853
       Professor, Communication/Linguistics  direct off:  818-677-2874
       Speech Communication Department
       California State University, Northridge     home:  818-366-3165
       SPCH CSUN                                    FAX:  818-677-2663
       Northridge, CA 91330-8257 INTERNET  email: ALAN.HARRIS at CSUN.EDU
                 WWW homepage: http://www.csun.edu/~vcspc005
	From: WILLARD MCCARTY <willard.mccarty at kcl.ac.uk>
	Subject: ACLS paper

Humanists will likely be interested in the latest Occasional Paper of
the American Council of Learned Societies, Douglas C. Bennett,
"New Connections for Scholars: The Changing Missions of a Learned
Society in an Era of Digital Networks".

ACLS publications are handsomely designed, but if you are impatient
you can get this one via the Web, at
<http://www.acls.org/op36.htm>. (Yes, I know, that's not the only
reason on e might have for using the Web....) Some of you will know
that Doug Bennett i s Vice President of the ACLS but is shortly to
assume the duties of President at Earlham College (Richmond, Indiana),
<http://www.earlham.edu/>.

In his paper Bennett briefly sketches the history and roles of learned
societies in the U.S. and the culture of "disconnection" that has been
in part responsible for the benefits of academe. Isolation from a
society that respected academic work was, as I recall, not a problem
-  this was the cas e as recently as my own childhood. Now, however,
this isolation poses a very large problem. Bennett's argument
primarily has to do with how the increase d connectedness of the
digital age can be used, particularly by scholarly societies, to help
solve this problem.

Read it tonight, as a friend of mine used to say (even, once, about
Clarissa, or was it merely Pamela?).

I note in passing Bennett's statement that, "none of the learned
societies that belong to ACLS has yet begun publishing an electronic
journal". (This requires a stage direction, such as "long pause"!)
Right. Time to roll up the sleeves and get to work, I'd say.

WM

Dr. Willard McCarty, Senior Lecturer, King's College London
voice: +44 (0)171 873 2784 fax: +44 (0)171 873 5801
e-mail: Willard.McCarty at kcl.ac.uk
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/kis/schools/hums/ruhc/wlm/