8.771, Qs: Language and medicine survey

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri May 23 15:48:37 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-771. Fri May 23 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.771, Qs: Language and medicine survey

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 17 May 1997 00:35:21 +0200
From:  Stina M Garvin <stina-g at nwu.edu>
Subject:  Language and Medicine

Date:  Sat, 17 May 1997 00:35:21 +0200
From:  Stina M Garvin <stina-g at nwu.edu>

	Hello!  Can you help me please?

	I am a student at Northwestern University near Chicago and am
currently taking a linguistics class entitled Language and Medicine.
I am a linguistics major in the Honors Program in Medical Education
and plan to enter medical school in the fall of 1999.  For my project
for the Language and Medicine class I am hoping to complete a series
of biographies on people who have combined language and medicine in
their careers.  This may be used by students as a guide to possible
careers combining these two diverse fields.  I would love to have your
input, especially if you have a career which in any way combines
language and medicine.  If you could take a few minutes to answer a
few questions that I have included at the bottom of this message I
would really appreciate it.  If you would like, I'd be happy to
forward you a copy of the guide when I have finished.
	Thank you very much for your time, and I look forward to
hearing from you soon!

	Sincerely,

	Stina Garvin

	What is your educational background?

	What is your current position?

	Salary range (please place an X in the appropriate category if
you care to answer)
		less than $30,000 per year
		$30,000-$50,000
		$50,000-$70,000
		$70,000-$90,000
		more than $90,000

	What do you like/dislike about your work?

	What are your areas of interest?  Are you currently involved
in any research projects?

	In general, how did you become interested in these areas?

	What can an understanding of linguistics contribute to the
field of medicine?

	Do you have any suggestions for graduating linguistics majors
(in pursuing careers related to the medical field as well as in
general)?

	Do you know of any other people who have combined language (or
specifically linguistics) and medicine in their careers and wouldn't
mind answering a few questions?

	Thanks again for all of your help.

-
Stina M Garvin