8.774, Disc: Punctuation

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat May 24 21:45:11 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-774. Sat May 24 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.774, Disc: Punctuation

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 16 May 1997 10:10:12 -0500 (EST)
From:  Carl.Mills at UC.Edu
Subject:  Re: 8.726, Disc: Punctuation

2)
Date:  Mon, 19 May 97 11:48:06 BST
From:  alex at CompApp.DCU.IE (Alex Monaghan CA)

3)
Date:           Mon, 19 May 1997 14:08:32 GMT
From:  <SHAPERJJ at m4-arts.bham.ac.uk>
Subject:        Punctuation Summary - Part 2

4)
Date:  Mon, 19 May 1997 20:29:43 -0500
From:  Mark Mandel <Mark at dragonsys.com>
Subject:   punctuation

5)
Date:  Tue, 20 May 1997 13:48:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:  David Robertson <drobert at tincan.tincan.org>
Subject:  Re:  Disc:  Punctuation

Date:  Fri, 16 May 1997 10:10:12 -0500 (EST)
From:  Carl.Mills at UC.Edu

Regarding Roger Lass's recent posting on the "greengrocer's
apostrophe," overuse of the apostrophe is endemic to the U.S.  At a
small neighborhood supermarket near the University of Cincinnati there
is on the wall above the cash register a sign that reads "No
Check's!"--apostrophe, quotation marks, and exclamation point are all
in the original.

Carl Mills